Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration full!

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Re: Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration full!

Post by Martin Bishop »

One of my friends from uni has thoughtlessly scheduled her birthday on the same day, so I'll be leaving early for her party. Thankfully she lives in North London, so I can still stay to 8.30 or 9.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've heard about a house party going down after somewhere in North London if anyone's interested.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Champions League final in the evening. Just mentioning.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

What time is kick off Mr M?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:Champions League final in the evening. Just mentioning.
SHIT YOU WEREN'T MEANT TO TELL THEM THAT SHIT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Champions League final in the evening. Just mentioning.
SHIT YOU WEREN'T MEANT TO TELL THEM THAT SHIT
:) Sorry! Though if it is an issue, best to deal with the disappointment now as it's gonna be well obvious come the evening, most likely. I dunno. Maybe? No English involvement I guess.
I'd never usually miss it but I'm happy to miss it to spend the time with you lot. Don't all be weirdos and make me regret saying that.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote::) Sorry! Though if it is an issue, best to deal with the disappointment now as it's gonna be well obvious come the evening, most likely. I dunno. Maybe? No English involvement I guess.
I'd never usually miss it but I'm happy to miss it to spend the time with you lot. Don't all be weirdos and make me regret saying that.
Tbh, Co:Lon should be well over by kick-off (at 8.45). So we can make you regret coming *and* you can watch the footie.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ha, I may have knocked back a dinner invitation for Wednesday to watch the CL final :oops: I'm not going to be popular.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Getting there from the south, what's the traffic like? I am obviously no expert with traffic and that. Is there a route we could take that isn't very busy? £62.50 for the train is pretty dire.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

They don't do children tickets for £1? Cos they do here, or at least they used to.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I just sent the following around to (hopefully) all the Co:Lon attendees. Just copying it here in case anyone checks this more often than their email.

With less than a week to go until Co:Lon, I'm sending this out to remind everyone (although how could you forget?), and to just check that everyone can still make it, since there's a list of reserves
who'd be happy to take your place if something has come up. I'm also going to go through a few details of the day, so those unfamiliar with Countdown events won't be wholly unprepared (although I'd advise everyone to read it, as there will be some things specific to Co:Lon).

First up, if you can't be bothered to read the rest of this, then could you at least reply to confirm that you can make it. I don't need anything fancy, just a 5 second email to say 'yep, still in' would be
really appreciated.

Also, could anyone who said they might bring a copy of the board game (or who said they might be persuaded...) please get in touch to let me know that's still ok. Just to clarify, we only need the letters and number tiles, and the die for generating numbers rounds, not the whole
box, so if that changes anyone's mind that would be great.

Now that's out of the way, a few things about the day:

There are two prizes available for a couple of specific things:

The Romeo and Julie T prize: On arrival I'll ask you to provide a guess at what the total score of the winning player on the day will be. This will be their total score across all 6 'regular' games (but
not the grand final playoff), and the closest guess wins a prize. To give you some idea, the average score in a 9 rounder on apterous is 44, but you'd expect the winner to average a little better than that. Have a think about your guess before the day, or just pick a number at random. If you'd like to submit your guess ahead of time send me an email and I'll add it to the list.

The Magnificent Seven prize: In your goody bag you'll have a sheet of paper which is an entry form for this prize. To enter, at some point during the day you can declare a word you play in a game as your 'magnificent seven'. To do this, write it on the form and get your game's host to sign it to confirm you did indeed play it, then hand it in to me at the end of the game. At the end of the day the most 'magnificent seven' will win a prize!

Now, some other thngs:

Arrival: The website has us starting at 1pm. Please please please don't be late. I'll be running through introductory announcements at 12.45, so please don't be any later than that. I can't guarantee that you'll get to play if you arrive after 1pm! My mobile is xxxxx xxxxxx, if you get into trouble on the day give me a call and we'll see what we can do. But I do have to stress that if you arrive after 1pm I can't guarantee you'll get to play; it's not fair on everyone else to
hold up the whole day if you're late, so don't be!

When you arrive I'll ask you to 'sign in' so I can keep track of who is or isn't there. You'll also get your official Co:Lon 2010 goody bag (oooooh), which will include some Mystery Goodies (aaaaah). If you
don't know what I look like, I'm the one on the right in this hilarious youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtyQNHtu0w (NB: clip may not be as hilarious as advertised).

Pens and paper will be provided, although you're more than welcome to bring your own if you'd prefer.

Format: There will be 10 tables on which games will take place. 3 people will be assigned to each table, and then each of those three will play each other once, with the other person hosting. The host will be responsible for the conduct of the game. So you'll need to shuffle the tiles, keep time, and so on. As the website says, the games will be 9 rounders, which are of the standard format LLLNLLLNC (L = letters, N = numbers, C = conundrum). Please ask if you have any
specific questions.

Checking words: The dictionary will be the apterous dictionary. I'll have one or two laptops on hand where you can type in a word and it will tell you if it's valid (like Lexplorer). I'll also bring a paper
dictionary in case we end up with a lot of people needing to check words at once.

Conundrums: When it comes to the conundrum, the game's host should come up to me and I'll give you a conundrum on a piece of paper, and show you the solution (in secret). You then reveal it to the players and the first to 'buzz' (it's up to the players how they do it, but tapping the table is the norm) can guess the answer. If they're wrong the other player gets the remaining time, just like on the show.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have any questions (I've probably forgotten something), and please reply to confirm you're still coming, and if you can bring a set of countdown tiles. And most
importantly, don't be late! Introduction at 12.45pm, don't miss it!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

P.S. Who's excited about the goody bags? :o
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:P.S. Who's excited about the goody bags? :o
OMG ME!!1!ELEVEN!!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Special notice on the Magnificent Seven Prize

Thanks to the observations of a Mr Jon Corby, a couple of clarifications on the Magnificent Seven:

Your word does not have to be in the Countdown dictionary.
Your word does have to be made up of the letters from the round in question.

I should also stress that the Magnificent Seven prize isn't very good :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote: I should also stress that the Magnificent Seven prize isn't very good :P
What?!
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

3 people assigned to a table: completely random? seeded by ability? one person who knows how Co-events run per table?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:3 people assigned to a table: completely random? seeded by ability? one person who knows how Co-events run per table?
Seeded by sexiness.

(completely random for round 1 - we'd be unlucky to have a table with three people who don't know what to do, but hopefully if everyone turns up on time we can do a demo round or something)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:3 people assigned to a table: completely random? seeded by ability? one person who knows how Co-events run per table?
Seeded by sexiness.
That's cool, so long as CF doesn't mind you sitting with me and Badcock.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Michael Wallace wrote:Tbh, Co:Lon should be well over by kick-off (at 8.45). So we can make you regret coming *and* you can watch the footie.
8.45pm European time my friend. 7.45pm on these shores. Personally, I'm gonna give it a miss and follow Inter Milan's goal spree on my phone.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Makepeace wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Tbh, Co:Lon should be well over by kick-off (at 8.45). So we can make you regret coming *and* you can watch the footie.
8.45pm European time my friend. 7.45pm on these shores. Personally, I'm gonna give it a miss and follow Inter Milan's goal spree on my phone.
Good point. Although hopefully the day itself will still be done by then. Might make finding a pub to camp in after people get food tricky though.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Seeded by sexiness.

(completely random for round 1 - we'd be unlucky to have a table with three people who don't know what to do, but hopefully if everyone turns up on time we can do a demo round or something)
How random :?:

Is everyone's name going to be in a hat and then drawn out 1 by 1 or something :?:
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Phil Makepeace wrote:
Good point. Although hopefully the day itself will still be done by then. Might make finding a pub to camp in after people get food tricky though.
On the contrary I'd have thought - won't everyone be in the football pubs? Actually, I can't think of a football mad pub in that area, though there are loads of them further north in Islington and west in Bloomsbury/Holborn. Clerkenwell's full of pubs that double as music venues or are ancient establishments that primarily serve the city after 5pm during the week. For example, the Jerusalem Tavern across the street from the Sekforde was totally empty when we arrived at 4pm the other week, and heaving by 5.15. The Jerusalem might not be a horrendous idea on a Saturday, though obviously it depends where we go for food.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

If you intend using the Tube to get to Farringdon please check planned engineering works for Saturday.

These include, but are not limited to, Circle Line (closed in its entirety) and Metropolitan Line (no service between Aldgate and Watford).

Hammersmith & City Line does have a part closure but is operational between Baker Street and Aldgate.

For those using the Circle Line northern section the Hammersmith Line should suffice, for Circle Line southern section District Line is operational except for between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... et=weekend
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Collinge wrote:If you intend using the Tube to get to Farringdon please check planned engineering works for Saturday.

These include, but are not limited to, Circle Line (closed in its entirety) and Metropolitan Line (no service between Aldgate and Watford).

Hammersmith & City Line does have a part closure but is operational between Baker Street and Aldgate.

For those using the Circle Line northern section the Hammersmith Line should suffice, for Circle Line southern section District Line is operational except for between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road.

Great stuff Phil, thanks. I'll have to stick this up on the site if you don't mind (and possibly spam people with it nearer the time, too).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:How random :?:

Is everyone's name going to be in a hat and then drawn out 1 by 1 or something :?:
Every player will get a box numbered from 1 to 22, then Noel Edmonds will turn up and rank the box-holders by sexiness.

(I haven't decided yet, and may well change my mind later, does it really matter?)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Every player will get a box numbered from 1 to 22, then Noel Edmonds will turn up and rank the box-holders by sexiness.
I'm trying to work out who Noel Edmonds would find sexiest.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Phil Collinge wrote:If you intend using the Tube to get to Farringdon please check planned engineering works for Saturday.

In view of this I'm considering walking it from Kings Cross.How long's it likely to take(just roughly)? I arrive at around 11.40.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rich Priest wrote:

In view of this I'm considering walking it from Kings Cross.How long's it likely to take(just roughly)? I arrive at around 11.40.
It seems to suggest from the map I've seen that the pub is less than a mile from King's Cross, so not too long to walk. I actually arrive just a bit before 11:40. Maybe we could go there together, Rich. :idea:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Are we allowed to wear shorts?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

WHO LIKES SHORT SHORTS?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

It transpires someone else has pulled out of Michael's Co:Lon, so I'll see you guys there. Cimping. And the rest of my clothes, come to that.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Lesley Hines wrote:It transpires someone else has pulled out of Michael's Co:Lon, so I'll see you guys there. Cimping. And the rest of my clothes, come to that.
WHO ELSE IS EXCITED NOW?!?!?!111
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:It transpires someone else has pulled out of Michael's Co:Lon, so I'll see you guys there. Cimping. And the rest of my clothes, come to that.
Oh yeah :!: More females means more fun surely :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Oh yeah :!: More females means more fun surely :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Oh God.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Oh yeah :!: More females means more fun surely :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Oh God.
Is that what you're hoping to be saying? ;) It's nice to know your split with Charlie isn't going to limit your activities :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

James Robinson wrote:
Rich Priest wrote: In view of this I'm considering walking it from Kings Cross.How long's it likely to take(just roughly)? I arrive at around 11.40.
It seems to suggest from the map I've seen that the pub is less than a mile from King's Cross, so not too long to walk. I actually arrive just a bit before 11:40. Maybe we could go there together, Rich. :idea:
25 minutes max. Unless you feel like basking in the splendour of your surroundings, which is unlikely as the area immediately south-east of Kings Cross isn't great.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Oh, by the way, Chancery Lane isn't much further away than Farringdon - the Central Line will be fully functional.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Oh yeah :!: More females means more fun surely :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
You can thank me later :lol:
Oh, cackwires!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'll be getting into King's Cross on Saturday at 10:52- anyone want to meet up and share a, er, pavement to the venue?
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

ben, me and kirky baby are getting to st pancras at 11.19 so if you dont mind waiting we can share a pavement
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I'll be getting in at about 10:58 so I can meet up as well. And no I'm not stalking you Ben.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

The good lady and I are due to arrive into St. Pancras at 11:01.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

By the way, just so that everyone knows, Co:Lon is :L (which means lol) inside Coon (short for raccoon). Just saying.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kai Laddiman wrote:By the way, just so that everyone knows, Co:Lon is :L (which means lol) inside Coon (short for raccoon). Just saying.
Are you implying that I will be laughing on the inside all day? Better than crying I suppose.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:By the way, just so that everyone knows, Co:Lon is :L (which means lol) inside Coon (short for raccoon). Just saying.
Are you implying that I will be laughing on the inside all day? Better than crying I suppose.
Clever.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Hey d0000ds - could people start PMing me their Julie T prize predictions plz? As a reminder - that's the total score across their six 9 round games of the eventual winner. You can tell me on the day, but things will be quicker the more people who enter ahead of time. ty gg
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Me wrt. CO:LON:

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

In case anyone was interested, I've just been out and hopefully finalised the prizes!!! :o

First off, remember that everyone gets a goody bag. So in a way, everyone wins. In another way, only one person wins, but everyone gets stuff. I should point out that I haven't been able to find any actual goody bags, so you're just going to get goodies instead. Also, they're probably not that good, so maybe call them medicorey bags. Just without the bags. Also there are only two, so don't look too disappointed when I give you two mediocre things when you turn up and tell you that's your lot. (Am I playing these down enough? Good.)

The overall winner gets the trophy, obviously, and will get some other prizey stuff, as will 2nd place (i.e. the person who loses in the grand final). There are also the memorial prizes for Julie T and Ryan which you all know about. Lastly, there will be an over-achiever prize, which will be some Stuff for whoever (in Mr. Dog's opinion) performs the best during the day.

Thanks for the Julie T entries, by the way, although I feel obliged to point out that Amazon have been a bit rubbish and not delivered the Julie T prize (despite my ordering it ages ago), so in the likely event that it doesn't arrive tomorrow morning, the winner may have to settle for giving me their address so I can stalk them^W^W forward it on if/when it does arrive (I'm hoping Amazon will just re-send it, but if they don't I'll find something else for you to have instead).

EXCITEMENT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm pretty excited by all this awesomeness - and I'm not even going!

Will there be any updates on this amazing event as it takes place? Because if so, I will have to modify my excitement status accordingly.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

JimBentley wrote:I'm pretty excited by all this awesomeness - and I'm not even going!

Will there be any updates on this amazing event as it takes place? Because if so, I will have to modify my excitement status accordingly.
Alas, only if the pub has wifi (I don't think it does) or people with new-fangled Internet phones decide to do so.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I am even more excited now as I went on to Justin Irwin's darts site and he lists all the pubs in Central London (zone 1) with a dartboard. Upon clicking on the relevant area, the list of pubs is given and up comes The Sekforde Arms.

http://www.justinirwin.com/london-darts ... erkenwell/

Description: "Proper old local in the quietest street in London. Feels like being in a different world, and a lovely place to play darts, if a little frustrating that the design of the oche makes it difficult to watch others play."

So if I get any breaks during the day, you'll know where you can find me. Let's just hope they have decent quiz machines too. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:I am even more excited now as I went on to Justin Irwin's darts site and he lists all the pubs in Central London (zone 1) with a dartboard. Upon clicking on the relevant area, the list of pubs is given and up comes The Sekforde Arms.

http://www.justinirwin.com/london-darts ... erkenwell/

Description: "Proper old local in the quietest street in London. Feels like being in a different world, and a lovely place to play darts, if a little frustrating that the design of the oche makes it difficult to watch others play."

So if I get any breaks during the day, you'll know where you can find me. Let's just hope they have decent quiz machines too. :D
I totally already told you about the dartboard :P Although I didn't want to push it too much 'cos I didn't remember seeing it when I was in there (although I am a) a blindy, and ii) wasn't looking for it). Don't think the place has a quiz machine, but again it might have been hiding in a corner or something.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:I'm pretty excited by all this awesomeness - and I'm not even going!

Assuming I can get any signal, I'll happily post the occasional in-running update.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Have a good one all!
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Re: Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Yep, http://www.twitter.com/gxphil will carry round-by-round news of shocks, gossip and ale count.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration

Phil Makepeace wrote:Yep, http://www.twitter.com/gxphil will carry round-by-round news of shocks, gossip and ale count.
Haha oh man you are awesome.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

A very belated good wishes to all who are attending today.

And thanks phil for the twitter feed. I've just tuned in, but see nothing's there yet.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Received from Twitter about an hour ago:

Carson 84-66 Gough highlight of the round. Possibly a max game too. No real shocks, R2 about to start.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Latest: "Carson 83-49 Makepeace might be another maxer. Can anyone stop him?"

Nice one Innis.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Cheers for the updates, Phil, but more importantly, is anyone pissed yet?