Countdown in Lincoln 2010- Saturday 30th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2010- Saturday 30th January

Post by Lesley Hines »

Kirk Bevins wrote:A quick browse of the COLIN site produces LN6 8JB.
Thank you - apparently not capable of reading a website. Doh.
:oops: :roll: 8-)
And Alec - you're welcome any time ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:A quick browse of the COLIN site produces LN6 8JB.
Thank you - apparently not capable of reading a website. Doh.
:oops: :roll: 8-)
And Alec - you're welcome any time ;)
Indeed, it ought to be on this year's webpage, not just last year's. AIH there are a few more things wrong with the page at the moment:
  • So-labelled "View the c4countdown thread." link that doesn't
  • List of confirmed entrants has allegedly been incomplete for the last few days
  • Links to pages that have no content yet (I'd think they were so people can bookmark them ready, but that would be wishful thinking given that not even last year's results/photos are up yet)
  • Claims to be valid XHTML but isn't
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Me and Ryan are planning on getting into Lincoln Central at 10:06. What time are others arriving there so we can share taxis and reduce costs for everyone...
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Me and Ryan are planning on getting into Lincoln Central at 10:06. What time are others arriving there so we can share taxis and reduce costs for everyone...
My train should be in at 10:17.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ben, could you please let us know the name (and postcode if you know it) of the pub or wherever we're heading off to afterwards? :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

What time should we get there for? I vaguely remember reading 10am for a 10.30 start but can't find where it says that.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Darren Carter wrote:What time should we get there for? I vaguely remember reading 10am for a 10.30 start but can't find where it says that.
Probably last year's COLIN page. The Facebook event page gives 10:30 as the start time, which probably means the official welcome and then the warm-up game before the start of the tournament proper at 11:30.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Last call for food please- will be buying all the goodies tomorrow so if you haven't got your order in yet, I hope you like leftovers!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Julie T wrote:Ben, could you please let us know the name (and postcode if you know it) of the pub or wherever we're heading off to afterwards? :)
Will their website do? :)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Julie T wrote:Ben, could you please let us know the name (and postcode if you know it) of the pub or wherever we're heading off to afterwards? :)
Will their website do? :)
Thanks, Ben! I'm a sat nav fan like Lesley. :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

There's no mention on their website of facilities. Pool table? More importantly ...a dartboard? :twisted:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:There's no mention on their website of facilities. Pool table? More importantly ...a dartboard? :twisted:
Both. :) Though I am going to have to ring them up tomorrow and warn them of an imminent invasion on Saturday. :D
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Kirk Bevins wrote:There's no mention on their website of facilities. Pool table? More importantly ...a dartboard? :twisted:
Darts?! Pool :D ("Me and Ryan..." indeed ;) ) Which reminds me: EPA rules before anyone accuses me of making them up as I go along. :lol:
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

10:30 meet.

Okay.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi all

We're now locked at 33 entrants (full list in the OP) and lunch orders are now closed. The official 'start' of COLIN tomorrow will be 1030 with the warm-up game (featuring an all-new never-before played variant) will start at 1050 with round 1 starting at 1130.

The full itinerary is thus:

Round 1: 1130
Lunch: 1300
Round 2: 1400
Round 3: 1530

With the prizegiving around 5pm-ish we should be all done and packed away by 5:30 at the latest. I want to keep on schedule this year- god knows CoNot slipped atrociously last May so I will be cracking whips.

The venue is St. Hugh's Church Hall on Harewood Crescent in North Hykeham (post code LN6 8JB). The hall is actually located behind the church, as is the car park, so that's where you want to be aiming.

Scoresheets for the day can be found at http://colin.nebagram.co.uk/scoresheet2010.doc and a few will be provided on the day.

And finally, a quick reminder to everyone who can to bring along board games and ODEs. I'll be bringing along some equipment of my own but I do need everyone who can bring along their own to do so- as well as something you can use to time the rounds (as always, no one wants to hear a mash-up of 11 renditions of the Countdown clock music every other minutes).

Any last-minute questions, shoot, otherwise I'll see you all tomorrow!
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I'll bring my board game, do you want us to print off our scorecards now? If so, how many do we need?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

See you all tomorrow :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ian Dent wrote:I'll bring my board game, do you want us to print off our scorecards now? If so, how many do we need?
You'll each be hosting 3 games which should involve doing the scoring, so 2 copies each should suffice- as I said though, I'll bring a few spares.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Ben Wilson wrote:Hi all

We're now locked
Not according to the official page. Please, what is going on?
Ben Wilson wrote:at 33 entrants
Not according to the official page. Please, what is going on?
Ben Wilson wrote:Scoresheets for the day can be found at http://colin.nebagram.co.uk/scoresheet2010.doc and a few will be provided on the day.
I've also made a scoresheet. You'll notice there are two there - one with the same basic purpose as the official one, and one for players to do their working on if they so desire.

While I'm at it, is there any plan yet for getting the data onto the wiki? If you're going to do it more or less straight after the event, by all means do; otherwise and if nobody else has volunteered, I'll be willing to do it if you're willing and able to give me the data files (I'll try and remember to bring my memory stick).
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Just one question, Ben. Are you providing the conundrums, as you did for the last two CoLins? Are are we to provide them for the three games we're hosting, as in CoLin2007?

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Howard Somerset wrote:Just one question, Ben. Are you providing the conundrums, as you did for the last two CoLins? Are are we to provide them for the three games we're hosting, as in CoLin2007?

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
The ones I was expecting to get seemingly haven't materialised though they may come tomorrow- I'd bring some of your own anyways just in case.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

ARGH! Laptop has decided now's the time to die a death. Gah nuts and bother. I'll bring it and the mobile broadband anyway, but it's not looking terribly promising :(
Edit: Workaround - go me! :D
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Good luck and have a great time everyone.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Are Stewart Gordon and Ben Wilson going to have a fight? Can someone film it please.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Are Stewart Gordon and Ben Wilson going to have a fight? Can someone film it please.
Please, what is going on?