To those who were involved in the WLM Countdown game

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

To those who were involved in the WLM Countdown game

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, everyone

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm sorry I didn't talk to any of you when you were involved in the Windows Live Messenger Countdown game last night.

This is because it confuses me if a lot of people are typing at once. From what I saw, those were a couple of great games you played.

Also, I had been informed that you were going to have the conference at 12:00 noon Pacific Time. I had stayed online until about 4:00pm Pacific Time, which is 12 Midnight British time. Throughout those 4 hours, I had been asking myself, "How can these people get enough sleep when they're up so late playing Countdown?"

Could someone please tell me if it is a free-for-all in every Windows Live Messenger Countdown game?

Also, I have set up a Windows Live ID specifically for Countdown fans. Those of you who I saw in the conference last night know what it is?

So, I would like everyone to remember my Windows Live ID, and if someone can answer my question about Windows Live Messenger Countdown games, I would greatly appreciate it.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: To those who were involved in the WLM Countdown game

Post by David O'Donnell »

Yes, sorry Jason. It is an absolute, bloody free-for-all. I saw that you were trying to type a message a few times. In fact we stayed up until around 3 am and I never did win a solitary game :oops:

Actually, it was quite good to get my ass handed to me, it underlines the fact that I really need to step it up a gear at the finals (assuming 8 new players don't emerge who top 880).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

If you want to talk to me privately, please feel free, and that goes for everyone else too.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Cheers Jason, I'll say hi privately next time you're knocking about. It has and always will be a free for all, unfortunately. Games have been known to go missing half way through when a really really interesting debate about mental arithmetic or mass nouns has taken over.

Having said that, there tends to be a lot more respect for tournament games, and if you want to participate in an online tournament arrangements can of course be made, it's not a problem.

And to answer your question, Countdown is more important than sleep. It's that simple.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon O'Neill.

I had heard that the other people who were involved in the Countdown game Friday Night really wanted you to join in. However, it was after the two complete games that I saw when you joined in and even after you play your games, all of you are quick to speak and say what you want to say.

Other than Countdown, I am a very well-rounded person so please feel free to talk to me otherwise.

And David, if you're around here I think I forgot to mention this but thank you for the advanced warning about messenger Countdown games in the future.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jason Larsen wrote:Jon O'Neill.

I had heard that the other people who were involved in the Countdown game Friday Night really wanted you to join in. However, it was after the two complete games that I saw when you joined in and even after you play your games, all of you are quick to speak and say what you want to say.

Other than Countdown, I am a very well-rounded person so please feel free to talk to me otherwise.

And David, if you're around here I think I forgot to mention this but thank you for the advanced warning about messenger Countdown games in the future.
Jason Larsen.

They love me, what can I say.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon:

Very good.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I remember when we started MSN countdown in 2002 or something, everyone used to get a game even if it was just a friendly. This was before Soo created the ratings system. And yeah we used to stay up to whatever time we felt like. I was a bit disappointed last time I logged on that I didn't get a game at all. So I'll definitely play you Jason next time we log on, provided someone wants to host.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I would rather have only one other person involved, please.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

As a fellow victim of Corby I'd be delighted to give you a game, anytime: I need the bloomin' practice!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Martin Gardner wrote:I remember when we started MSN countdown in 2002 or something, everyone used to get a game even if it was just a friendly. This was before Soo created the ratings system. And yeah we used to stay up to whatever time we felt like. I was a bit disappointed last time I logged on that I didn't get a game at all. So I'll definitely play you Jason next time we log on, provided someone wants to host.

Martin
To be fair only the tournaments seem to be rated nowadays- something I'm very much in favour of, as I too really miss the days of the 'random drop-in friendlies'. Still, the number of msn countdowners is growing, the golden days may be returning again... hopefully.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Gardner wrote:I remember when we started MSN countdown in 2002 or something, everyone used to get a game even if it was just a friendly. This was before Soo created the ratings system. And yeah we used to stay up to whatever time we felt like. I was a bit disappointed last time I logged on that I didn't get a game at all. So I'll definitely play you Jason next time we log on, provided someone wants to host.

Martin
You just need to ask, I think. Maybe you did, I wasn't there, but yeah, next time just say so and there will always be a host willing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I would like one other person and I to be contestants, and someone to be the host.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:Everyone used to get a game even if it was just a friendly. This was before Soo created the ratings system. And yeah we used to stay up to whatever time we felt like.
I realise there's only an implied causation here, but I think it's unfair. The ratings system is only limiting if
1) you give it the same seriousness as, say, Scrabble ratings
2) you give a shit what your rating is.
There's no need to do either. It's just a convenience for tournament organisers and maybe a mild encouragement to middle-ranked players who are unlikely to win a whole tournament.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I can't remember the last time anyone asked for a rated game. It's just a game and then sometimes, as an afterthought, rated? Nobody gives a shit about their rating really.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Ginger Jono wrote:I can't remember the last time anyone asked for a rated game.
Just before Co-Lin RB asked you for one when the three of us played a mini-tourney.
Ginger Jono wrote:It's just a game and then sometimes, as an afterthought, rated? Nobody gives a shit about their rating really.
You declined the rated game because you needed to protect your seeding for Co-Lin so it's not true that "nobody" gives a shit at all. :D