COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 May 2021

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 May 2021

Post by Ben Wilson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the oldest co-event on the calendar is back!

...Hopefully. Probably. Maybe. See the posts dated 8/9/2020 and 24/9/2020 for further details. Safe to say the details below are a bit out of date.

With the world in the situation it's in at the moment, it's hard to know exactly what's going to happen in six months' time. What I do know:

-I've booked the Ark for 30/01/2021
-I've booked the Memorial Hall for 31/01/2021

Both of those bookings were made around April/May time, when the infection rate was as high as it got, so the secretaries of both venues must've been optimistic about where we'd be in January, especially compared to where we were in Spring. But still, with the news we've had recently, especially with it nailing CO:WY (which I was really looking forward to), I don't want to make any promises just yet, and I certainly don't want to take any money. Not yet, anyway. So what I'm doing is I'm putting this out right now to say that the intention is to hold COLIN XVII on the last weekend of January 2021. If it can be a full-blown event like previous COLINs, great! Though if not, plans are in place. Currently, those plans are (in ascending order of how screwed the world gets):

-restricting numbers at both events (probably 36 for Saturday and 24 for Sunday)
-not having a hangover
-not having the event in January
-not having COLIN at all in 2021 (obvious worst case scenario)

Other plans include not having the usual refreshments on hand (especially not the table sweets) and only supplying tea, coffee and water at the venue. Last year I bought plastic cups, with the intention being that everyone would have one cup they'd use for the whole weekend. That idea certainly turned out to be eerily prescient. Branded pads are also probably going to be out, though the pens will happen- the family portrait would look odd without 2021, after all. The puzzle mag... Undecided. And keeping social distancing while playing Edinburgh style is a logistical nightmare I haven't wrapped my head around yet.

However, I have six months to come up with something, so as such, I'm not taking any entry fees just yet- not until I know exactly what type of event I'll be running. I just wanted to announce it is very much my intention to end January 2021 with COLIN, just as it should be. But whether or not it should happen that way is in the hands of fate.

On the plus side, though, one advantage of Lincoln being in the middle of nowhere is that our infection rates aren't all that high. 17 per 100K people in North Kesteven (our part of Lincolnshire)- which is actually way above the county average. Maybe in six months' time that'll be even lower. Time will tell. Watch this space. And get hype. :-)

BJW

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 30-31 January 2021

Post by Callum Todd » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:12 am

Great news, good luck with it Ben.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Having spoken to the Ark, at the present time, the maximum number allowed for the Saturday event is 30. No news on the Sunday event, I'm hoping to speak to the Memorial Hall tomorrow so will have news then, and will hopefully have some idea of prices by the weekend. Still trying to figure out how to make 3 to a table work with social distancing, but I have a few ideas.

Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 pm
Having spoken to the Ark, at the present time, the maximum number allowed for the Saturday event is 30. No news on the Sunday event, I'm hoping to speak to the Memorial Hall tomorrow so will have news then, and will hopefully have some idea of prices by the weekend. Still trying to figure out how to make 3 to a table work with social distancing, but I have a few ideas.
Push two tables together, perhaps? Would that work? Depends on how big the tables are, I suppose.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:32 pm

So, a quick update. I've spoken to the Memorial Hall as well, and their maximum capacity is also 30. As this includes me (obviously) it means that the maximum capacity for both events in January, as it stands right now, is 27 each. Also, both venues have said there'll be restrictions on refreshments throughout the day- the Memorial Hall have said that only one person is allowed to go into the kitchen. Not one at a time, but one in total throughout the course of the day. Thankfully, my mum has already volunteered there. The Ark have basically said 'kitchen is out of bounds'. I may be able to negotiate another 'let my mum in there' but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes for the massive urn we usually have on Saturdays there. One thing's for certain- if those restrictions are broken on either day, I'll need to look for new venues for 2022.

However, as it stands right now, the events are going ahead. Both days. It's going to be a seriously cut back version of the event, but I'd rather that than no event at all. The tables at both venues are in the region of 2 metres long, so the seating arrangements will be to have the host in the middle of the table and the players on each end. The only thing I still need to work out (and I hope to have worked out by this time next week) is how to actually play the damn games. Decks of cards are breeding grounds for germs, so I (and FOCAL) are looking into technological alternatives (and we'd very much welcome any suggestions/contributions from any technologically-minded countdowners).

I've also got a price structure in mind- it's likely to be £10.50 for Saturday, £7 for Sunday or £14 for both. But don't send me money just yet, not until I have everything sorted out.

Watch this space. This WILL happen one way or another.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, dates TBC

Post by Ben Wilson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:58 pm

So, it turns out January may have been a little optimistic. Five months from now things may be better, they may not, but right now things are pretty dire. A maximum of 27 entries at both events, social distancing in place and no concrete plan on how to do a Lincoln-style event that isn't prohibitively expensive has led me to take the difficult decision to postpone COLIN. So, for the first time in 17 years, it won't be happening in January. I do, however, have other dates in mind later on in the year. I need to hear back from the Ark and the Memorial Hall but I hope to have the new dates for you as early as tomorrow.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 May 2021

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:03 am

Morning all

So, at last, I can finally announce that for one year only, COLIN is going to be held on the last weekend in May, namely the 29th and the 30th of May. The halls have been rebooked, but I'm not quite yet ready to start taking entries just yet.

The announcement on Tuesday about new restrictions on gatherings aren't exactly filling me with confidence. It became apparent very early that January wasnt going to be possible without some major changes to the way COLIN is run and a severe restriction on numbers, and i didnt want to hold Co:Mpromise for obvious reasons. Moving it to May was a difficult decision, but even then, I'm not confident COLIN can go ahead as normal. So for now, I'm announcing the dates, but I likely won't be taking entries until the new year. After all, things may well get better by then. They could also get a lot worse.

This is also the only time COLIN 2021 will be rescheduled. If it doesnt go ahead in May next year, it won't go ahead at all, and COLIN XVII will take place in January 2022 instead (and set a record for non-event announced furthest in advance).

Oh, and on what wiuldve been COLIN weekend (30-31 january), I plan on holding an apterous tournament instead. :-) Watch this space for more details.

Ben W