CoBra (Essex) -- Saturday 2 November 2019

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
FOCAL Countdown

CoBra (Essex) -- Saturday 2 November 2019

Post by FOCAL Countdown » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 pm

FOCAL comes to the market town of Braintree in Essex this November — and this will be the last event on the 2019 circuit before the FOCAL Finals three weeks later.

Date: Saturday 2 November 2019
Venue: White Hart Hotel, Braintree, Essex CM7 9AB [see on map]; [website];
B&B accommodation available.
Admission: £12pp or £20 for two; further discounts available for larger groups
Start time: Doors open 10:30 for Round 1 draw at 11:15
Parking on site? Yes, chargeable
Lunch provided? No
Accommodation available? Yes
Finish time: 18:00
Host: Jeff Clayton – jeff@focalcountdown.co.uk
Games to be played: 6, plus Grand Final
Wheelchair accessible?: Yes
Train connections: Braintree station – direct from London Liverpool Street, or change at Witham off main line services from Ipswich and Norwich.
Bus connections: First 70 from Chelmsford or Colchester, Arriva 133 from Stansted Airport.

This tournament will take place in one of the town’s oldest buildings, the White Hart, dating back to the early 16th century. Its rustic, warming vibe provides the perfect setting for wiling away an autumn day.

Getting to the venue
If you’re coming by car, the pub has parking on site but it is chargeable (and this is enforced). Other car parks are available nearby at ground level on Manor Street (CM7 3HW, by the Town Hall) or George Yard Shopping Centre (CM7 1GF, multi-storey). Both are short walks from the venue.

Braintree has a direct rail service from London Liverpool Street, then it’s a 15-minute walk through the centre of town up to the White Hart. Super off-peak discounted fares are usually available from Abellio Greater Anglia on Saturdays.

If you’re coming from the Midlands, the North, or even further afield, there’s an hourly bus 133 to/from Stansted Airport which stops right by the venue.

When do I need to be there?
Doors open from 10:30 and you can enjoy a hot drink from the bar before we get underway at 11:15. After introductions, we’ll generate a random draw for the first round matches.

How does it work?
We’ll be using what’s the Lincoln format and all matches will consists of nine rounds.

We’ll stop for lunch after Round 1 towards 12:45 — you can either order something off the menu, or take a stroll towards Sainsbury’s, or the High Street, with an array of coffee shops and cafés. The Saturday market will also be in full flow down towards the Town Hall — all a short walk away.

There’ll be another short break after Round 2 towards 14:45, then again after Round 3 at 16:30. Sometime towards 17:00, the two highest performing contestants will contest a Grand Final in front of a captive audience to decide the overall winner.

Grand Final
This will be a longer match — 14 rounds (LLNLLNCLLNLLNC) using big screen graphics.

Where in the pub will the games take place?
We’ve hired out the Braintree and Tudor function rooms, across from each other on the ground floor and just round from the main bar. Each room will be set up with a mixture of tables and chairs, or sofas and coffee tables, so everyone will have the choice of how they want to play their matches.

Timetable for the day:
10:30 Doors open; tea/coffee available from the bar
11:15 Welcome, followed by Round 1 draw.
11:30 Round 1
12:45 Lunchtime
13:45 Round 2
15:00 Break
15:15 Round 3
16:30 Break
17:00 Grand Final (14 rounds)
17:30 Prize giving
18:00 End

Payment
You can book your place with host Jeff using PayPal:

£12 for an individual booking;
£20 for two.

If you wish to book a larger group, please email Jeff to discuss rates.

Remember to select the “family/friends” option, as your contribution is voluntary to help cover Jeff’s personal costs of organising the event.

What’s happening in the evening?
We're arranging a group booking at a curry house in the town centre for 19:30. Let Jeff know if you can join us.

Staying over?
The White Hart offers B&B accommodation which has received good ratings and reviews. At time of writing (July 2019), two nights’ B&B for two adults (staying Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd November) is £100.

There are also two Premier Inns and a Holiday Inn Express, located just out of town off the A120. Parking is free at all of these others, though we would recommend arranging taxis to get to/from the town centre if you’re not coming by car.

Any questions?
jeff@focalcountdown.co.uk

Entrants so far...
1. James Robinson
2. Jon O'Neill
3. Toby Pereira
4. James Haughton
Last edited by FOCAL Countdown on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
FOCAL Countdown - the unofficial tournament circuit
focalcountdown.co.uk | @focalcountdown | focalcountdown@gmail.com

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Re: CoBra (Essex) -- Saturday 2 November 2019

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 am

I am off work that day so could finally go to one but I have to occasionally have to look after my mum so won't be certain until nearer the time
Do you have a maximum number before it's fully booked or can I , say , book it a week before ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 am
I am off work that day so could finally go to one but I have to occasionally have to look after my mum so won't be certain until nearer the time
Do you have a maximum number before it's fully booked or can I , say , book it a week before ?
I imagine a week before would be fine. It probably won't book up.

But this would be good. It's my local event so I'll be there.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 am
I imagine a week before would be fine. It probably won't book up.

But this would be good. It's my local event so I'll be there.
Well I live in Kent but it's doable with a mid morning start and as my partner will be at her sisters I will probably be at a loose end so I am pencilling it in
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Was the venue picked after the name?

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter

Post by Zarte Siempre » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Strong chance I will attend if family visits other family on that day so I can hitch a ride. Won't be at the meal though if this happens.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Ronan M Higginson
Rookie

Post by Ronan M Higginson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Hoping to go to it seeing as it's not too far away. Could we please have a list of who is going?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Is this getting a Facebook event thing as well? I know that everyone should use c4c for their primary source of all things Countdown, but in practice not everyone does.

FOCAL Countdown

Post by FOCAL Countdown » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:05 am

Original post now updated to include confirmed sign-ups so far.
FOCAL Countdown - the unofficial tournament circuit
focalcountdown.co.uk | @focalcountdown | focalcountdown@gmail.com