SOLD OUT - .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

SOLD OUT - .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Robinson, Taylor, Foster, Todd... You?

Yes, like the gluttons for punishment which we are, we’re dusting off the big wooden board for its 5th outing, as .co.mk is back!

Once again, my power duo of Innis Carson and Jason Leslie will be joining me, and I will likely be looking for an extra on the day host, to help cover for my diminished mobility, but that can be sorted nearer to the time.

Also once again, we will have a 10:30 door opening, for an 11:00 draw, for an 11:15 start – this time however we’ve moved a week later in the calendar, and so you will be seeing us on SATURDAY THE 10TH AUGUST.

Again, once again, we continue with the New Queen Vic. Whilst not the most accessible venue, it continues to offer us a friendly service, without having to charge you all a small fortune. My apologies to anyone else of limited mobility who would otherwise like to come, but I don’t think my being carried, or bum shuffling approach dependent on mobility on the day will be for everyone!

Once more, once again, the format for mk5 will be unchanged from last year. You will get a minimum of 7 9-round games, but barring an absolute disaster (which we’ve never had yet, touchwood) you should get an 8th, before a showpiece final between the top 2. We will be continuing to use ten-letter conundrums – these seemed to work well last year, and we’ve not exhausted them all yet.

To take part in our wonderful event will cost you just 15 of your English pounds (or the appropriate exchange rate) – if you entered .co.mk4, you can have a £1 discount as a thank you for your continued support (No, you can’t have £2 off if you also had the discount last year, we’re not made of cash). Payments should be made by PayPal to innis_carson@hotmail.co.uk – as we are a not for profit, PLEASE make sure you choose the friends and family option when you pay.

The venue is in Wolverton, which is one train stop on from Milton Keynes Central. There isn’t very much in Wolverton though, and people tend to go out on the Friday and Saturday in Milton Keynes itself, so if you’re planning on booking a hotel, I would advise doing so in the centre. There are several options, although Travelodge and Jury’s Inn tend to be the 2 that come out on top most often. Milton Keynes Central travels directly to and from lots of places, including London, Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Food options are abundant both in MK and in Wolverton, however as our venue is a pub that has its own café – that is probably the most convenient – however order in advance, because they have a habit of being understaffed and making people wait.

There are a few parking options located in the immediate vicinity, or you can park in the Tesco car park, which stupidly haven’t put any rules in place about it. I would maybe condone buying at least a scratchcard from them though, so they don’t become inclined to put said rules in place for next year.

As usual, there will be a special way of announcing sign-ups, but only those who pay up at LEAST a month in advance of the event. They may also be out of order, as some will be easier than others. Please don’t nag for yours – I won’t have forgotten!

Thanks in advance for your support of the event, you always bring the noise, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Confirmed Participants (52)

Callum Todd
Tim Down
Jen Steadman
James Haughton
Cathy Summerside
Thomas Cappleman
Aidan Linge
Jonathan De Souza
George Armstrong
Ashwin Abinashi
Dave Ryan
Suzy Turner
Paul Talmey
Fiona Titcombe
Maus Carey
James Rowan
Jeff Clayton
Mauro Pratesi
Jessica Pratesi
Jill Thwaites
Adam Thwaites
Karen Pearson
James Robinson
David Hilton
James Laverty
Jamie McNeill
Chris Marshall
Graeme Cole
Dan Byrom
Sarah Bladon
Toby Pereira
Sam Prouse
Catriona Cappleman
Sandie Simonis
Phil Stanton
Josephine Sinclair
Kirk Bevins
Joe Harrison
Rob Foster
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Last edited by Zarte Siempre on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 12th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

We're a quarter of the way full. A little slower than most years, but we've still got time.

Please get your entries in today!
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Can I play on FaceTime ?
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm Can I play on FaceTime ?
Unfortunately not, the WiFi signal in our venue is unbelievably slow - it's one of the few downsides, it'd never work. Sorry, Ashton!
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:36 am
Ashton Hancock wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm Can I play on FaceTime ?
Unfortunately not, the WiFi signal in our venue is unbelievably slow - it's one of the few downsides, it'd never work. Sorry, Ashton!
That’s fine Zarte not to play but if I could get connection just face time a couple of times in the day. Can I please take your phone number (you can private message it me)
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I don’t live near Milton Keynes
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Can I Zarte
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I've checked, and checked again - August 12th isn't a Saturday. <checks again...>
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 am I've checked, and checked again - August 12th isn't a Saturday. <checks again...>
Ah, description says 10th! As you were...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Just about 6 weeks to go, and we're just about it in the vicinity of being half full, so please help us out by getting your entries in soon, so we know what to spend on y'all!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

20 spaces left!

(???s on the list are people who haven't yet been revealed on the Facebook page - I don't want to make it too easy for people who are playing along!)
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

I should hopefully be coming :D
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

How many spaces left now?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Last year I did the Linford Wood parkrun instead of the Milton Keynes one. It's nearer to the venue in Wolverton and I went straight to the venue from the parkrun rather than going back to the Travelodge first. I might do the same again this year. It's just more convenient that way. What do other parkrunners think?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:09 pm Last year I did the Linford Wood parkrun instead of the Milton Keynes one. It's nearer to the venue in Wolverton and I went straight to the venue from the parkrun rather than going back to the Travelodge first. I might do the same again this year. It's just more convenient that way. What do other parkrunners think?
I'm up for that, sounds good.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: SOLD OUT - .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

We are now full up.

If you'd like to form a reserve list and make a late run on the day if places free up, please feel free to send in a payment, which will be refundable should a place not open up.

Otherwise, please, no more entries!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Congrats! Will be thinking of you all.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:27 pm :(
You had fair warning!
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Zarte Siempre wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:14 am
Ronan M Higginson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:27 pm :(
You had fair warning!
Never mind
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

(ONE LATE PLACE OPENED UP AT) .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

One place has opened up (well two, but one person was on a reserve list) for Saturday's event.

Jump on it immediately if you have the urge to join us.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Re: (ONE LATE PLACE OPENED UP AT) .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 pm One place has opened up (well two, but one person was on a reserve list) for Saturday's event.

Is that space still open? I may still go to it if I have a slight chance
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: (ONE LATE PLACE OPENED UP AT) .co.mk5 - Countdown in Milton Keynes - Saturday August 10th

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:32 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 pm One place has opened up (well two, but one person was on a reserve list) for Saturday's event.

Yep
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:28 pm
Ronan M Higginson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Yep
Unfortunately can't go :(