CO:York - Countdown in York - 13th April 2019

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
George Armstrong
Rookie

CO:York - Countdown in York - 13th April 2019

Post by George Armstrong »

Countdown is coming to beautiful northern city of York for the first time and hopefully for the first of many hosted by myself.

But what can you expect from Co:York 2019:

Our Venue:

We will be at the St Lawrence Church Hall, YO10 3BP. Just a half hour walk from York Station although there are plenty of buses running all around York or a taxi would be a good option if a few people meet at the station and share. There will be a buffet during the lunch break so please let me know of dietary requirements ASAP so I can make sure you don't go hungry.

As for getting here, York, home of the National Railway Museum, is a major station on the East Coast Main Line. The fastest trains from London King’s Cross take as little as two hours, with connections at Peterborough and Newark. From the north, there are connections from Newcastle, Durham, Edinburgh and Glasgow. York also boasts east-west links on the TransPennine routes from the Yorkshire coast at Scarborough across to Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool.

The Games:

We will be playing a Lincoln style event. All competitors will be drawn into groups of three at the start of the day for Round 1 and you will play everyone in your group once in 9-round games (6l 2n 1c). Two more rounds follow where your opponents will be your neighbours in the standings at that point so don't worry if you have a tough start. At the end of the three rounds our top two will face off in the final. Remember the aim is to have fun. And there will be plenty of prizes on offer that anyone could take home.

Speaking of games...

We will be running a lunchtime Weakest Link quiz for those who want to take part. Anyone can sign up on the day and I'll draw out of a hat to see who gets to play.

You can keep up to date with all the latest news on our event's FB page here https://www.facebook.com/events/539789323128592/

On the day:

I will be at the venue from 9am but I don't expect any of you to turn up this early (although you're more than welcome to). Doors will open officially at 10am if not earlier with the first round draw at 10.45am and the first round itself at 11am.

Full schedule:

Doors open: 10am
Welcome/Round 1 Draw: 10.45am
Round 1: 11am
Lunch and quiz: 12.30pm
Round 2: 2pm
Round 3: 3.30pm
Final: 5pm

So fancy coming? Entry fee for the day will be £15, which includes a buffet lunch, payable to me at www.paypal.me/GArmstrong97. If you don't have PayPal feel free to contract me and we can sort something out.

Any questions? Ask away. Let's be having you...

Confirmed entrants (24):

James Haughton
Ben Wilson
Callum Todd
Eddy Byrne
Jonathan De Souza
Richard Priest
James Rowan
Hazel Drury
Philip Jarvis
Jason Turner
Taz Turner
David Hilton
Chris Marshall
Dinos Sfyris
Tim Down
Fred Whibley
Mike Springett
Stewart Gordon
Bradley Horrocks
Dave Ryan
Suzy Turner
Tracey Mills
Mark Mills
Richard Coles
Last edited by George Armstrong on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 21 times in total.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: CO:York - Countdown in York - April 13th 2019

Looking at where to stay for CO:York? There are a few options...

I'll be staying at the York Central Travelodge, the cheapest big brand hotel in York, as well as being the closest to our venue, just an 8 minute walk away. There's also a Wetherspoons beneath it for late night drinks and early breakfasts. Just £80 for the whole weekend or roughly £60 for just the Saturday night, provided that two people share.
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/196 ... &lozenges=

Or if you are on AirBnB I have found a stay more or less outside the venue that sleeps 4. (NB you will need to have positive reviews or the host won't accept you). I have attached a link for those interested. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/31426046 ... 4&guests=1
George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: CO:York - Countdown in York - 13th April 2019

ONE WEEK TO GO GUYS, ONE WEEK TO GO!

Still plenty of time to sign up, and still plenty of spaces available - just £15 payable to www.paypal.me/GArmstrong97/15 (or by bank transfer if you don't have PayPal).

See you there!