CO:York - Countdown in York - April 13th 2019

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
George Armstrong

CO:York - Countdown in York - April 13th 2019

Post by George Armstrong » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Countdown is coming to beautiful northern city of York for the first time and hopefully for the first of many hosted by myself.

But what can you expect from Co:York 2019:

Our Venue:

We will be at the St Lawrence Church Hall, YO10 3BP. Just a half hour walk from York Station although there are plenty of buses running all around York or a taxi would be a good option if a few people meet at the station and share. There will be a buffet during the lunch break so please let me know of dietary requirements ASAP so I can make sure you don't go hungry.

As for getting here, York, home of the National Railway Museum, is a major station on the East Coast Main Line. The fastest trains from London King’s Cross take as little as two hours, with connections at Peterborough and Newark. From the north, there are connections from Newcastle, Durham, Edinburgh and Glasgow.York also boasts east-west links on the TransPennine routes from the Yorkshire coast at Scarborough across to Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool.

Our capacity is likely to be 36, although if the buffet is set up in the kitchen I can slightly extend this is need be.

The Games:

We will be playing a Lincoln style event. All competitors will be drawn into groups of three at the start of the day for Round 1 and you will play everyone in your group once in 9-round games (6l 2n 1c). Two more rounds follow where you're opponents will be your neighbours in the daily standings at that point so don't worry if you have a tough start. At the end of the three rounds our top two will face off in the final. Remember the aim is to have fun. And there will be plenty of prizes on offer that anyone could take home.

Speaking of games...

We will be running a lunchtime game show quiz for those who want to take part. I've had some ideas of what show to pick but let you lot voice your opinions so please keep up to date with the events page on Facebook, as I will be putting up a poll in the coming weeks. https://www.facebook.com/events/539789323128592/

On the day:

I will be at the venue from 9am but I don't expect any of you to turn up this early (although you're more than welcome to). Doors will open officially at 10am if not earlier with the first round draw at 10.45am and the first round itself at 11am.

Full schedule:

Doors open: 10am
Welcome/Round 1 Draw: 10.45am
Round 1: 11am
Lunch and quiz: 12.30pm
Round 2: 2pm
Round 3: 3.30pm
Final: 5pm

So fancy coming? Entry fee for the day will be £15, which includes a buffet lunch, payable to me at www.paypal.me/GArmstrong97 or by cheque to my home address (available on request).

Any questions? Ask away.

Confirmed competitors (3):

James Haughton
Ben Wilson
Callum Todd