Special event for former contestants?

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Tom
Acolyte

Special event for former contestants?

Post by Tom »

Hi everyone,

How would people feel about the possibility of ever having an event of having as many former players as possible (plus any honorary guests) to meet formally as a celebration of the show? (Maybe for something like 2022 if and when the show reaches 40 years for example)

Having organised many events such as a Countdown reunion for players around my time, plus things like group holidays and various reunions, I thought I would put the idea out there.

This isn’t a serious idea yet as such, more to see what the reaction would be. If something like this was to happen, off the cuff I was thinking getting a venue booked, getting some catering on and maybe getting having a few speeches too.

Location would be open to suggestion, but off the cuff I would have in mind Manchester or Leeds as front runners.

Happy to listen to any suggestions and take any questions. Obviously the above would cost money and if people had in mind they would want to spend on any event regardless, feel free to say.

Over to you...
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Special event for former contestants?

Post by Owen Carroll »

You mean like the 30th birthday championship? And if you're the second tallest then who's the tallest? Are you tom Chafer cook?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm And if you're the second tallest then who's the tallest?
Richard Osman is. It's a little known fact that Richard Osman was on countdown and made the final, losing narrowly to a guy called Harry Peters. However this was never broadcast due to some controversy sadly.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:16 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm And if you're the second tallest then who's the tallest?
Richard Osman is. It's a little known fact that Richard Osman was on countdown and made the final, losing narrowly to a guy called Harry Peters. However this was never broadcast due to some controversy sadly.
The guy on pointless?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:16 pm
The guy on pointless?
Yes
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm You mean like the 30th birthday championship? And if you're the second tallest then who's the tallest? Are you tom Chafer cook?
Hi Owen,

Yes the idea would probably be like a milestone type event except no games. I’m not Tom Chafer-Cook I’m Tom Hargreaves; appeared in the 30th, did okay!

An off the cuff idea would be to get as many former players as possible and do something like have an evening event where you rent a room out and provide things like catering, a DJ and have some speeches.

A few people I am still in dialogue with have said it sounds like a good idea. Obviously very early days at present and only an idea. Just seeing what kind of feedback there is.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:50 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm You mean like the 30th birthday championship? And if you're the second tallest then who's the tallest? Are you tom Chafer cook?
Hi Owen,

Yes the idea would probably be like a milestone type event except no games. I’m not Tom Chafer-Cook I’m Tom Hargreaves; appeared in the 30th, did okay!

An off the cuff idea would be to get as many former players as possible and do something like have an evening event where you rent a room out and provide things like catering, a DJ and have some speeches.

A few people I am still in dialogue with have said it sounds like a good idea. Obviously very early days at present and only an idea. Just seeing what kind of feedback there is.
Oh well I'm into it. Obviously so far I can't be on it cause so far I've only applied to be on the show but it does sound like a good idea. And I'm a big fan if you tom. But unfortunately I haven't seen any of your episodes. Could you please send me a link to some?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom can I just say you were in a way inspiration for me to go onto the show.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Thanks Owen for your kind words. It wouldn’t just be open to former players; people such as those in communities such as here and apterous would be welcome plus people like partners of former players if they wanted to come too.

It depends on how many people would be interested and how much people would be willing to pay. 50 people at £20 a head would yield £1000 which may or may not pay for a venue, DJ and catering. Right now it’s all about seeing who would be interested on here and then putting the idea out to other focus groups in time.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:49 pm Thanks Owen for your kind words. It wouldn’t just be open to former players; people such as those in communities such as here and apterous would be welcome plus people like partners of former players if they wanted to come too.

It depends on how many people would be interested and how much people would be willing to pay. 50 people at £20 a head would yield £1000 which may or may not pay for a venue, DJ and catering. Right now it’s all about seeing who would be interested on here and then putting the idea out to other focus groups in time.
Ah I see. Well as you already know I'm definitely in.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 pm
Tom wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:49 pm Thanks Owen for your kind words. It wouldn’t just be open to former players; people such as those in communities such as here and apterous would be welcome plus people like partners of former players if they wanted to come too.

Sure, I've put a message out on Apterous to see if there's any response and see how they and C4C go as the immediate focus groups. A few people I am in contact with on Facebook have shown some interest; so you never know it could be a goer.

In terms of timings, to me it doesn't make much sense to have one at a random time having thought about it; only if it was a milestone anniversary like 40 years or 10k shows for example. The way I'm thinking is I believe Countdown has been extended to run till 2020. If the show happened to end then for example, I'd look at something, but I think should the show be extended till 2022 then I think that would definitely be a cause for celebration.

If there was enough interest and I could gauge numbers to a degree, my thought is doing a microsite for the event with tickets having to be bought beforehand. Obviously it would be for contestants, but there would be an option for others to be there such as partners, aficionados or people who haven't been contestants but have had a strong presence associated with the show.

Food for thought...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Sure, I've put a message out on Apterous to see if there's any response and see how they and C4C go as the immediate focus groups. A few people I am in contact with on Facebook have shown some interest; so you never know it could be a goer.

In terms of timings, to me it doesn't make much sense to have one at a random time having thought about it; only if it was a milestone anniversary like 40 years or 10k shows for example. The way I'm thinking is I believe Countdown has been extended to run till 2020. If the show happened to end then for example, I'd look at something, but I think should the show be extended till 2022 then I think that would definitely be a cause for celebration.

If there was enough interest and I could gauge numbers to a degree, my thought is doing a microsite for the event with tickets having to be bought beforehand. Obviously it would be for contestants, but there would be an option for others to be there such as partners, aficionados or people who haven't been contestants but have had a strong presence associated with the show.

Food for thought...
I can't think of anything to say to that except if it was up to me it would be happening and COUNTDOWN'S ENDING?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The only one reservation is that the uptake could well be ridiculously large. If it's open to any and all televised contestants you could well end up at a figure approaching 4,000.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:06 pm The only one reservation is that the uptake could well be ridiculously large. If it's open to any and all televised contestants you could well end up at a figure approaching 4,000.
Really doubt it'd be even close to that tbh. Most one time winners who were on 12 years ago aren't going to be interested most likely.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:06 pm The only one reservation is that the uptake could well be ridiculously large. If it's open to any and all televised contestants you could well end up at a figure approaching 4,000.
I assume you've changed your tune on drugs, because there's no way anyone is actually this fucking dumb. Glad to see you're enjoying all of what Brighton has to offer though :)
Last edited by Jennifer Steadman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

More even. I reckon there must have been at least another 1000 than that.

Not to mention most of them will want to bring a +1. So you'd need space for at least 10000.

Although I suppose a few of the early ones will be dead, so maybe only 9000.

Still you'd probably need to book the NIA at least...

Actually... what about all the former employees of the show. It's no good. We're going to have to book Wales for an evening.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 pm
I assume you've changed your tune on drugs, because there's no way anyone is actually this fucking dumb. Glad to see you're enjoying all of what Brighton has to offer though :)
As I explained in Aptochat recently, Jen, it's practically compulsory round here.

And even if you don't you'll inhale all the second-hand weed smoke anyway.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Terrible idea. That co-event with 4,000 people was an utter shambles.

The event started on time at 11am, with 3,998 people present, Tom Carey at home having got the date wrong, and Anthony Endsor wandering round a similarly-named town a hundred miles away. So far so average, but things went downhill from there. After the round 1 fixtures were announced, it was time for lunch.

For round 2 we decided to display everyone's names alphabetically with their table numbers on the screen. You can only fit a certain number of names on each page, though, so by the time Zebedee Zymurgy had found his table number, his opponents Aaron Aardvark and Abigail Abacus had been waiting for over half an hour.

Then we thought we'd switch to Bristol style to see if that was any easier. We realised it wasn't as soon as the host first asked "any words for checking?" And after that easy conundrum in game 3, local residents thought there'd been an earthquake.

Lastly, I will never understand that split-everyone-into-divisions-halfway-through-the-day thing. I thought they might speed through the prizegiving after everything else had been delayed, but no. "First up, the prize for 3rd place in division 500..."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm Terrible idea. That co-event with 4,000 people was an utter shambles.

The event started on time at 11am, with 3,998 people present, Tom Carey at home having got the date wrong, and Anthony Endsor wandering round a similarly-named town a hundred miles away. So far so average, but things went downhill from there. After the round 1 fixtures were announced, it was time for lunch.

For round 2 we decided to display everyone's names alphabetically with their table numbers on the screen. You can only fit a certain number of names on each page, though, so by the time Zebedee Zymurgy had found his table number, his opponents Aaron Aardvark and Abigail Abacus had been waiting for over half an hour.

Then we thought we'd switch to Bristol style to see if that was any easier. We realised it wasn't as soon as the host first asked "any words for checking?" And after that easy conundrum in game 3, local residents thought there'd been an earthquake.

Lastly, I will never understand that split-everyone-into-divisions-halfway-through-the-day thing. I thought they might speed through the prizegiving after everything else had been delayed, but no. "First up, the prize for 3rd place in division 500..."
Like. :D
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Cathy Summerside

Post by Cathy Summerside »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm Terrible idea. That co-event with 4,000 people was an utter shambles.

I have laughed at this far harder than is good for me :D :D
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Hi Guys

Will you all ignore my posts over the last week someone has signed into my account and been naughty will find out who this is but I’m back know I haven’t logged in for over a week.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm Hi Guys

Will you all ignore my posts over the last week someone has signed into my account and been naughty will find out who this is but I’m back know I haven’t logged in for over a week.
Well I'm convinced.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm
Ashton Hancock wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm Hi Guys

Well I'm convinced.
It is true
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I like the idea but that event with 4000 people was an utter arse shambles
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

If yo did something like this it would have to be at a football stadium or something like that.