CO:LON:2 - Bigger, Longer and Half-Cut (Countdown in London 2018)

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

CO:LON:2 - Bigger, Longer and Half-Cut (Countdown in London 2018)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 pm

You wanted some. I gave it ya. But you wanted more, so...

:WHEN:
Saturday 12th May 2018. Doors open at 11 and the draw will be made at 11.45, so please be there by then. (Do as I say, not as I do.) It will finish by 6pm.

:WHERE:
The Blacksmith and Toffeemaker, London. It's 5 minutes' walk from Angel tube station, or if you're too Northern to work out how the tube works (srsly? it's much easier to understand than getting a bus), it's a 20 min walk from Kings' Cross and a 30 min walk from Euston.

The afterparty will be at the Old China Hand, which doesn't serve food but you're allowed to take food in. It also has darts, pool and loads of fancy beers.

:WHHHHHHHAT?:
6 9-round games of Countdown in the 'Edinburgh' style of tournament, aka the one where you don't feel like a schoolchild. The top 2 players after 6 games will play each other in the grand final. [Edinburgh style is briefly explained here: https://focalcountdown.co.uk/how-do-events-work-2/ I'm happy to explain or answer any queries publicly or privately.]

:Y THO:
Only Connect champion, Countdown champion and existence champion Graeme Cole will be there. (He hasn't actually confirmed this, but he will.) Also, you'll meet great people, have a nerdy laugh, see some utterly disgusting conundrum scrambles, and you might even win a prize - there's a range of prizes for people of all skill levels!

Also, I'm *actually* not running this again next year because I want to use my holiday allowance for actual holidays to exciting places like Russia, Slovenia and Liechtenstein, so this is your last chance to experience the gruesomely garish girlfest that is a Jen Steadman-run tournament.

:HOW MUCH?:
The only thing in London that's cheaper than up North, London is (probably) the cheapest Saturday event on the FOCAL calendar! Entry is just £8 per person. Payment should be made through PayPal to jennifer.steadman@rocketmail.com (PLEASE SELECT PAYMENT TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY - OTHERWISE I DON'T GET THE FULL AMOUNT), or if you don't have PayPal, message me for bank transfer details. There is no option to pay on the day, unless there are last-minute cancellations or spaces.

The event is NOT FOR PROFIT - the fee pays for venue hire, trophies, other prizes, an event magazine (that may feature topless pictures of Giles Hutchings), and pens. Food isn't included, but the venue serves delicious, very reasonably priced vegan food [menu here: https://www.theblacksmithandthetoffeemaker.co.uk/food], or there's a Sainsbury's over the road if you just want a sandwich or some probably not vegan Cheesestrings.

I'll put up some posts about budget-friendly travel and accommodation at a later date, i.e. when I'm not hungry and desperate for a wee. Short version: coaches/advance train tickets for cheap transport, AirBnB/hostels/Travelodges/couchsurfing for cheap accommodation.

:IN CASE YOU'RE WAVERING, HERE ARE SOME OF THE GLOWING REVIEWS FROM LAST YEAR'S EVENT:
"No-one died" - Sara Lawson
"We played Countdown, in London, so this event was accurately-titled content." - The Big Bad Wilf Carey's grandson
"It's such a relief that my daughter has found people of a similar level of 'social aptitude' to her" - Caroline Steadman
"I won an anthology of Chuck Tingle's sensual, surprisingly detailed gay dinosaur erotica. It has profoundly changed me as a man" - Stewart Gordon
"GRAEME COLE WAS THERE" - Jen Steadman

How could you not be convinced?? Sign up now to confirm your place, and you'll get a badly-drawn picture of you on the Facebook event!

Attending (12):
Thomas Carey
Matty Artell
Ben Wilson
Giles Hutchings
James Robinson ;) :D :P
Vik Shah
GRAEME COLE (CONFIRMED HEADLINER)
Thomas Cappleman
Caroline Steadman (queen of producing daughters)
Mark Mills
Tracey Croy
Josh Trober
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)