Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Post Reply
User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

That's right, slagheaps: the third (and final?) instalment of Co:Leeds will occur in 2018, and it has been ingeniously monikered Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds in homage to a locally popular noughties football fanzine. Just call me Mr. Pop Culture.

I say (and final?) above because currently I don't plan to rerun Co:Leeds again after 2018. So make sure you come along to Co:Leeds this time to complete the trilogy - the perfect hat-trick - because it might be your last chance.

Now for the deets.

When?
Saturday 21st April 2018. Doors open at 10am, Draw made at 10:45, Round 1 commences at 11am.

Please note: When I say "Doors open at 10am", I mean the doors open at 10am. Ergo the doors will be shut if you arrive before then. I'm as bad for being early to stuff as anybody, but last year we had half of us stood outside for half an hour waiting for the doors to open. Let's avoid that this time.

Where?
Leeds.
More specifically, The Cardigan Centre, 145-149 Cardigan Road, Leeds, LS6 1LJ.

There is a very small car park at the venue, but I really wouldn't bet on getting a spot there. If you're driving then there is unrestricted parking on most of the side streets around the venue, so plan to arrive with time to find a space and walk a minute or two around the corner.

What?
Anagrams and ting.

Why?
Why not?

How?
I know, right?

Entry fee
£12. Sorry I know this is a small increase on previous years. The venue price went up. Plus Brexit and stuff.
Payable to me via PayPal here.

Travel
The venue is just round the corner from Burley Park rail station. It's also fairy easy to access by cab or bus from central Leeds if you're getting a train or coach into the main Leeds stations.

Accommodation
There are a few nearby hotels, including a Village hotel in Headingley, and a Premier Inn round the corner. There's also a Travelodge and Ibis budget in Leeds centre. Airbnb is also a thing.

Food
There will be snacks and drinks available for free at the venue but there is no bar and no full meal provided. There's a chippy (one that was very well received last year), a Subway, a petrol station, and a café or two on Cardigan Road within a couple of minute's walk of the venue.

Format
Same as last two years, based on Lincoln. Players will be randomly drawn into tables of 3 for the first round, then the second and third rounds will be seeded based on standings on the day. 9 Rounders. After 3 rounds, and therefor 6 games played each, the top 4 will play off in a semi-finals to determine the champion.

Itinerary
10:00 - Doors open
10:30 - I start chatting shit
10:45 - Draw for round 1
11:00 - Round 1 begins
12:30 - Lunch break
13:30 - Round 2
15:00 - Round 3
16:30 - Semi-finals
16:50 - Final
17:10 - Prizegiving

17:30 - Co:Leeds is over. But...

17:30: Team Quiz (for anyone who wants to stay and do this).

18:30: Okay, everything is really over now. Clear off.

(Please note itinerary is subject to change. If we're getting through games and have extra time we may try squeeze in a fourth round. If we're struggling for time we may ditch the semi-finals and go straight into a final for the top two. Times given are planned but may not occur exactly to the minute.)

Sign-ups are open! Let's be 'avin' yer.

Confirmed entries (35)
Ben Wilson
Jack Worsley
Dylan Taylor
Thomas Carey
Dan Byrom
Jamie McNeill
Philip Jarvis
Richard Priest
Anthony Endsor
Matty Artell
Bradley Horrocks
Dave Ryan
Suzy Turner
Mark Mills
Tracey Mills
Nathan Pace
Chris Marshall
Steve Anderson
James Robinson
Dan McColm
Zarte Siempre
John Cowen
George Armstrong
Jonathan De Souza
Ian Peek
Tim Down
James Haughton
Paul Worsley
Stewart Gordon
Andy Platt
Dinos Sfyris
Stephen Read
Phil Monk
Jess Peters
James Rowan
Last edited by Callum Todd on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm

I kind of assumed it would be easier/quicker to get to Leeds from London.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm
I kind of assumed it would be easier/quicker to get to Leeds from London.
There's a shitton of poster adverts around Leeds from Virgin trains about how you can get from London to Leeds or vice versa in just over 2 hours, for about £20 each way. I see they haven't released any deets of tickets beyond the end of March yet. Will keep you posted if anything decent appears when those dates are revealed.

It'll be direct King's Cross to Leeds, on East Coast trains.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Ah right, that sounds better. I just tested to get a feel of times and prices by doing London to Leeds on a Saturday about a month away, e.g. 18th November: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/t ... 7/0745/dep

There is a direct Virgin East Coast from KGX there but it's 4 hours!

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Well ain't that some shit.

This, from a Saturday in December, is more like what I'd expect: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/t ... 7/0745/dep

~£20 each way, ~2h10m journey time.

Not sure why that one took so long; it stopped in a couple more places but still that takes the piss.

Let's hope 21st April will be more like this example than the previous one. Will let you know once Virgin reveal the deets.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Much more like it! Great searching. Hopefully my one's the freak. Could be tempted. Partly because I like you, partly because I want to make a pilgrimage to Northern Monk.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:45 pm
Much more like it! Great searching. Hopefully my one's the freak. Could be tempted. Partly because I like you, partly because I want to make a pilgrimage to Northern Monk.
The brewery? That's one of the places I looked at as a venue last year.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I would have come. Everywhere.

By the way, found out (via way of Gevin shouting) that this is London Marathon weekend so looks like my excitement will be short lived. Sorry. Next time!

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Oh wait, no next time. Ah well.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

You'll be there in spirit mate. Say hi to Gev for me.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm

I have been reminded of a big selling point for this event.

There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Zarte Siempre » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm
I have been reminded of a big selling point for this event.

There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
As a point of balance, I didn't think all that much of the chippy. The service was slow, and whilst the product seemed OK, it was quite greasy. I'd advocate Lincoln squid rings more.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm
Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm
I have been reminded of a big selling point for this event.

There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
As a point of balance, I didn't think all that much of the chippy. The service was slow, and whilst the product seemed OK, it was quite greasy. I'd advocate Lincoln squid rings more.
Balance is not needed here. This is a nuance-free zone. This is propaganda central.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Zarte Siempre » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm
Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm
I have been reminded of a big selling point for this event.

There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
As a point of balance, I didn't think all that much of the chippy. The service was slow, and whilst the product seemed OK, it was quite greasy. I'd advocate Lincoln squid rings more.
Balance is not needed here. This is a nuance-free zone. This is propaganda central.
Fine.

Ahem.

This man is quite CLEARLY a serial killer. Is that the sort of person you want to host an event? He might mutilate you! Either in a deathy way, or by drawing you against Worsley. Your only possible sensible option is to stay at home.

(If politics has taught me anything it's that all propaganda must be met with increasingly stupid counter propaganda)
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm
Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm
There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
As a point of balance, I didn't think all that much of the chippy. The service was slow, and whilst the product seemed OK, it was quite greasy. I'd advocate Lincoln squid rings more.
Image

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Zarte Siempre » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm
Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm
There's a chippy down the road from the venue that people went to last year and it were reet good. Come to Co:Leeds so you can go to the chippy.
As a point of balance, I didn't think all that much of the chippy. The service was slow, and whilst the product seemed OK, it was quite greasy. I'd advocate Lincoln squid rings more.
Image
Are you implying that Jono nearly ended up with a Lincoln squid ring?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm

I went to school with a Lincoln Squidring. Very oily fella. Bad skin.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Tim Down
Rookie
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Tim Down » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Will there be post-tourney boozing?

User avatar
Callum Todd
Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Callum Todd » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Tim Down wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm
Will there be post-tourney boozing?
Likely. The co:event will finish at 5:30pm and the post-event quiz at around 6:30pm so there will probably be some people in the pub by 6ish and many by 7ish. The pub of choice last year was The Bridgewater Arms in Cardigan Fields, and I suspect it will be so again this year. Last year there was also post-tourney bowling at the Hollywood Bowl in Cardigan Fields, so that may happen again too.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9355
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by James Robinson » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Callum Todd wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm
Tim Down wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm
Will there be post-tourney boozing?
Likely. The co:event will finish at 5:30pm and the post-event quiz at around 6:30pm so there will probably be some people in the pub by 6ish and many by 7ish. The pub of choice last year was The Bridgewater Arms in Cardigan Fields, and I suspect it will be so again this year. Last year there was also post-tourney bowling at the Hollywood Bowl in Cardigan Fields, so that may happen again too.
I certainly hope so too, was a brilliant night that was altogether. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!
UP THE MIGHTY TERRIERS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Tim Down
Rookie
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Tim Down » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Callum Todd wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm
Tim Down wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm
Will there be post-tourney boozing?
Likely. The co:event will finish at 5:30pm and the post-event quiz at around 6:30pm so there will probably be some people in the pub by 6ish and many by 7ish. The pub of choice last year was The Bridgewater Arms in Cardigan Fields, and I suspect it will be so again this year. Last year there was also post-tourney bowling at the Hollywood Bowl in Cardigan Fields, so that may happen again too.
Great, thanks. I was coming anyway but was working out whether to look into staying over or not.

User avatar
Richard Priest
Devotee
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by Richard Priest » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am

I'll be landing by train at around 10.40 if anyone is around to cab share to the venue...

James Haughton
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Co:LeedsLeedsLeeds - Saturday 21st April 2018

Post by James Haughton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

Didn't realise there were engineering works between Manchester and Leeds until this morning. Therefore, I won't be getting to Leeds until 10:45. Will try to get to the venue asap. I'm really sorry!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest