Countdown Bristol 2018

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Countdown Bristol 2018

Post by Mark Murray »

CO BRIS (Bristol) IS BACK....24th February 2018
Bristol County Sports Club
40 Colston St, Bristol, Avon BS1 5AE
http://www.bristolcountysportsclub.co.uk/
Location on Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/ksaw8ss
Presented by Mark Murray and Jeff Clayton,

The plan at the moment is for everybody to compete in 6 "9 rounder games", and will be in the traditional classroom setup:

The grand final will be played out as a 15 rounder showpiece
Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Doors open at 10am for a 11am start, with free tea & coffee available on arrival.
A buffet lunch will be provided at 13.00 and light refreshments will be on sale from the bar throughout the day. (Please advise of dietary requirements, where necessary.)

We will also have a raffle again this year with all proceeds going towards the FOCAL 2018 finals. any donations of prizes is very welcome

The intention is for the grand final to start at, or just after 5pm, with prizegiving concluded by 6pm

Admission costs £15pp (including buffet) and you can secure your place now
:
- By PayPal (markmurray97@hotmail.com- Please ensure when sending money by paypal that paying family/friends otherwise the full amount will not come through)

- By cheque (address available on request).
We have capacity for 40 contestants ; spectators are also welcome. Please book as early as possible to avoid disappointment if we reach maximum capacity
-----
we will also be going for a meal later (last 2 years has been za za bazaar and the decision for where we go this time is in the hands of the co organisers poll currently). I will be also taking payments for whatever is decided, either in advance, or on the day. if paying on the day, I will need to know at least few days advance whether you intend to come for the meal

http://www.zazabazaar.com/

The Club is in a prime city centre location:
- If you're travelling by train, get off at Temple Meads and high frequency bus routes 8 & 9 (up to every six minutes combined) depart from the station forecourt. These will drop you off at the Hippodrome just a short walk from the venue.
- If you're coming by car, you can avoid the cost of city centre parking with the Park & Ride buses from A4 Bath Road, A4 Portway and Long Ashton -- please check http://www.travelwest.info/parkandride for details including times of last buses back to the car park.
Accommodation: there are a lot of hotels around central Bristol, but parking can be an issue. The ones below are just some of the hotels in Bristol, but there are a few more
- Travelodge Anchor Road: - hotel parking £7.50 for 24 hours.
- Hotel Mercure: (on-street parking can cost approx £4; secured NCP £15/24hrs).
- Hotel Ibis: £10/24hrs parking at nearby car park.
- Premier Inn: (no onsite parking)
- Novotel, Holiday Inn

Happy to answer any questions, and if you need any help with planning your journey or your stay, send me a PM!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Last edited by Mark Murray on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Re: Countdown Bristol 2018

Post by Mark Murray »

Attendees Meal
Giles No
Tom Fielding No
Margaret Marshall No
Chris Neale No
Ashwin Abinashi To Pay
Thomas Cappleman Yes
Adam Dexter Yes
Gev Yes
Chris Marshall Yes
Sean Fletcher Yes
Jamie Illett-Jones No
Martin Thomas No
Jayne Wisniewski Yes
Joyce Phillips No
Anthony Endsor Yes
Karen Pearson Yes
Paul Talmey No
Jerry Humphreys No
Mark Mills yes (to pay)
Tracey Mills yes (to pay)
Steve Hawdon No
Tim Down Yes
Eddy Byrne yes (to pay)
Phil Wilson No
Amar Chotai Maybe
David Barnard Maybe
Graeme Cole Yes (to pay)
Tom Chafer-Cooke (to pay)
Jonathan Wynne No
Stewart Gordon Yes
Jonathan De Souza No
Bradley Horrocks No
The Void No
Last edited by Mark Murray on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

**** Start time now changed to 11 am following overwhelming feedback ***
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

I'd suggest editing the original post to include the new start time... just for those who'll check the OP as a reference point without regard for the comments beneath...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

thanks Eoin (thought I had already done it)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Any idea what time the meal is likely to finish? Last train home is 20:41 :/ obvs need enough time to get to Temple Meads so wonder if it's cutting it too fine?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Yes please for whatever food happens as well
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Murray wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:50 pm Doors open at 10am for a 11pm start
Maybe you've gone a bit too far?

I'm probably coming to this by the way. I'll come to Za Za Bazaar as well, even if you guys go somewhere else!
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Hey Meal will be booked at Za Za for 8pm to ensure enough time between finishing event and getting there to relax first. price will be £17.99 per person and this can also be paid by paypal to markmurray97@hotmail.com
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Mark Murray wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm Hey Meal will be booked at Za Za for 8pm to ensure enough time between finishing event and getting there to relax first. price will be £17.99 per person and this can also be paid by paypal to markmurray97@hotmail.com
Any chance of getting the booking any earlier? In the past it's felt like a long wait until dinner, then quite a rush for those of us having to travel afterwards.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

The meal booking sittings is hourly. We can change it so it is a 7pm sitting . Again as we are due to finish by 6 , it could seem rushed to some people at that time . Happy to go with majority on who would be going for the meal
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Time for meal now amended to 7pm . Adam-this would also give you enough time if you got a taxi to leave for about 8 pm from restaurant to temple meads
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Mark Murray wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm Time for meal now amended to 7pm . Adam-this would also give you enough time if you got a taxi to leave for about 8 pm from restaurant to temple meads
Brilliant, thanks very much!
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Mark Murray wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm Attendees Meal
Zarte Maybe
Giles Maybe
Aidan Maybe
Tom Fielding Maybe
Margaret Marshall No
Chris Neale Maybe
Ashwin Abinashi Maybe
Thomas Cappleman Yes
Adam Dexter Maybe
Gev Yes
Chris Marshall Yes
Sean Fletcher Yes
Jamie Illett-Jones Maybe
Martin Thomas Maybe
Heather phillips Yes
Jayne Wisniewski Maybe
Last edited by Mark Murray on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've booked into the Lewins Mead Premier Inn for both Friday and Saturday. Decent location and £110 in total. Also, it's the top-ranked Bristol hotel on Tripadvisor!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Mark Murray wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm Time for meal now amended to 7pm . Adam-this would also give you enough time if you got a taxi to leave for about 8 pm from restaurant to temple meads
This would be really helpful for me as well, as a train leaves Temple Meads at 8.30pm for Manchester, so would save me having to stay over, thus vastly increasing my chances of attendance. :D
DJ Marky Mark
Rookie

Post by DJ Marky Mark »

See you all there, Mark Mills To Pay and Tracey Mills To Pay.. sounds like we going to wear wigs.. :D :lol: :lol:
Long suffering Husband of Tracey Mills.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm probably going to do the Eastville parkrun at 9:00 before the event in case anyone else is interested.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 pm I'm probably going to do the Eastville parkrun at 9:00 before the event in case anyone else is interested.
I'm going to do Ashton Court parkrun instead actually. Tom Feilding is doing that one, so it makes sense to do the same one.