Countdown in Nottingham V- Saturday 23rd July 2016

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Countdown in Nottingham V- Saturday 23rd July 2016

Post by Ben Wilson »

Good evening everyone

The Nottinghamness returns for a fifth time! The date is Saturday, 23rd July, the place- is different. Sadly, the Westdale Lane Community Centre- CoNot's home for the past four events- is no longer available, so we're now at the Brickyard community centre. This place. (Google would have to visit the place on an overcast day). And the format... Is also different.

After three years of Bristol format (difficult without some form of projector or display equipment) and one year of five to a table (difficult without a robot-level ability to multitask), CoNot is going basic, and will have the exact same format as COLIN- All the players are divided into groups of 3 where one player acts as 'host' whilst the other two play an old-fashioned 9 round game of Countdown. Everyone has a turn hosting (enabling everyone on the table to play the other two players once each), and after 3 of these rounds, when everyone has played 6 games and hosted 3, the top two players (sorted by number of wins, then by number of points scored) play in the grand final to determine the overall winner, and who gets to take home the CoNot perpetual trophy for the next year.

Same itinerary as well- we get going at 11:30, all done by 6pm.

Entry fee is a mere £12, payable by paypal to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com................. or by cheque to my home address (available upon request). And yes, there'll be a puzzle magazine.

See you in the summer!

Entries so far (updated 19/7/16)

1. James Robinson
2. Jack Worsley
3. Mark Murray
4. Ru Maxwell
5. Chris Marshall
6. Graeme Cole
7. Adam Dexter
8. Lucy Westwood
9. Usman Mirza
10. Callum Todd
11. Zarte Siempre
12. Rob Foster
13. Gev
14. Stewart Gordon
15. Zubair Patel
16. Dinos Sfyris
17. Mike Brown
18. Barry Evans
19. Matty Artell
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: Countdown in Nottingham V- Saturday 23rd July 2016

Post by Jack Worsley »

Co:NottINgham!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Co:Not out

(that's an in, not a suggestion that we replace the football with some cricket)
cheers maus
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Thomas Carey wrote:Co:Not out

(that's an in, not a suggestion that we replace the football with some cricket)
Although we should.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Sadly going to have to miss my home tournament AGAIN this year due to music commitments. I might be able to come to watch for an hour or two though
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

If you haven't seen it on Facebook...

This year CoNot has a side competition, a way for the artistic amongst you to show off your talents. CoNot needs a logo, and because I can't be arsed to design it myselfI'm offering discounted entry into next year's CoNot for whoever designs the best one! Simply send your entry to me either by private message here or on Facebook. The winning entry will take pride of place on the front cover of the puzzle magazine!

See you in July!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

UPDATE!

We're currently at four entries, but there's plenty of time yet to get your entry in!

...But not for the logo competition, which has been thoroughly won by Miss HEATHER STYLES, whose design will adorn the front page of this year's puzzle magazine.

Which (hopefully) many of you will see in a mere six weeks time! More updates coming soon. :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Chris Marshall brings CoNot numbers up to 5. :D

Also, the puzzle magazine is ready to be sent to the printers, complete with Lee Fisher's latest crossword. here are the instructions this time:

Clues are normal.

Once the grid has been completed, solvers will be able to find several squares whose letters can be replaced with an X in order to create new, real words.

The solver should, however, only replace one of them; namely, the letter whose alphabetical position is equal to the total number of letters (including itself) which could be changed.

Chambers 12th Edition is once again the main source, although some solutions are proper nouns which are not located there.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Entries are up to 9 with just eighteen days to go! So get cashing. Paypal address is up the top there.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Just realised that this would usually be around the time I announce the seedings for the event. Well tough- there won't be any. The round 1 draw will be totally random, so if you draw Jack, tough. There also won't be any overachiever prizes as a result, but I'll think of some spot prizes to give out. Unless someone wants to think of them for me?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In.

I'm staying at the Nottingham Travelodge on Friday night by the way.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

In
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

I am now free about 3pm onwards on Saturday so will pop in and offer to help in any way I can for the latter stages (Hosting games etc.).

Also if anyone is staying in the city centre overnight, there are plenty of pubs (including at least three Wetherspons) in the city so if anyone wants to meet for drinks on Friday night send me a message.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Laverty wrote:I am now free about 3pm onwards on Saturday so will pop in and offer to help in any way I can for the latter stages (Hosting games etc.).

Also if anyone is staying in the city centre overnight, there are plenty of pubs (including at least three Wetherspons) in the city so if anyone wants to meet for drinks on Friday night send me a message.
I'll be around on Friday evening. Also, what time does your thing start on the Saturday? Will you be free at 9:00 for about 20-25 minutes?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Laverty wrote:I am now free about 3pm onwards on Saturday so will pop in and offer to help in any way I can for the latter stages (Hosting games etc.).

I'll be around on Friday evening. Also, what time does your thing start on the Saturday? Will you be free at 9:00 for about 20-25 minutes?
I do have time for Parkrun but currently carrying a slight ankle knock so may have to skip it this week.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:

I should be getting into Nottingham at about 8:30, and available from around 9:00 if you and/or anyone else is around.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

What are people thinking of doing about lunch?
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

I plan on eating it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I had the all-you-can-eat Travelodge buffet breakfast so didn't bother with lunch.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

A belated huge thanks to Ben for another fantastic event, and to everyone who participated! Long may it continue!