CoStAl3 - Countdown In St. Albans - Saturday 2nd July 2016

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoStAl3 - Countdown In St. Albans - Saturday 2nd July 2016

Post by James Robinson »

IT'S HERE ONCE AGAIN!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Back by popular demand, after a successful couple of years, I am delighted to announce that Countdown in St. Albans IS BACK!!!!

ST ALBANS - Saturday 2 July 2016
The County Club, 29 Ridgmont Road, St. Albans, Hertfordshire AL1 3AG

http://www.thecountyclub.org/
Google Streetview: http://tinyurl.com/nrbhfa5

Presented by James Robinson and Jeff Clayton, using the "Bristol" classroom format and playing along with big screen virtual studio graphics:

- Guaranteeing a minimum of 7 games for every contestant.
- The format will be 10 round games (LLNLLNLLNC) in 1/0 format, followed by a final phase of 9R QF and SF which will eventually lead to the 14R grand final.
- The grand final in Group A plays out as the tournament showpiece.

Doors open at 9am for a 10am start, with free tea & coffee available on arrival.

A buffet lunch will be provided at 12:30pm and light refreshments will be on sale from the bar throughout the day. (Please advise of dietary requirements, where necessary.)

The grand final starts at or just after 5pm, and we conclude with the prizegiving by 6pm -- prizes will be on offer for 1st and 2nd places in every group.

Admission costs just £15pp and you can secure your place now:
- By PayPal (jeffrey_clayton@hotmail.com / james_r_robinson@hotmail.com);
- By phone (Jeff: 07595 690 249 / James: 07817 750 544);
- By cheque (address available on request).

We have decided to cap the participation level at 40 contestants; spectators are also welcome.

The venue is a short walk from the mainline railway station (connections from the Midlands, the North and central London) and 15 minutes' walk from the city centre.
There is parking at the club; if the car park is full, there is also limited parking on Ridgmont Road, otherwise the rail station car park costs just £2 for the day.
Accommodation is available locally.

We look forward to hearing from you!

With thanks and regards,

James Robinson
on behalf of Jeff Clayton and Rob Gibney, President of The County Club, St. Albans

Confirmed Participants (27):
Adam Curran
Julie McCarthy
Adam Dexter
Mauro Pratesi
Natasha Pratesi
Mark Murray
Bertrand Adam
Tom Cappleman
Giles Hutchings
Eddy Byrne
Callum Todd
Jerry Humphreys
Zarte Siempre
Gevin Chapwell
Martin Hurst
Jon Elmer
Jessica Pratesi
Rob Foster
Graeme Cole
Callum Pickering
Matthew Brockwell
Jamie Ilett-Jones
Robin McKay
Stewart Gordon
Matty Artell
Horace Horlicks
Tony Atkins

Confirmed Watchers (1):
Adam Gillard
Last edited by James Robinson on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: CoStAl3 - Countdown In St. Albans - Saturday 2nd July 2016

Post by Thomas Carey »

al3cost/lactos3/locat3s/talcos3

i'm so good

right probably in for this but not sure yet
cheers maus
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Playing in a concert on both days that weekend so almost certainly going to have to miss out this year :(

If a cancellation comes up I will pop down though, but it is unlikely
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Jessica wants to know if there will be cakes this year?

Mauro
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Definitely in for this !!!!!!!!!!!!
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

After a slow start as usual, the train is now at full steam, and we're now up to 14 players.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm now officially in this. I'm staying at the Premier Inn. Because it's a 10:00 start, I wouldn't normally consider doing the parkrun. But now I'm thinking that I could do the parkrun and then just it over for the start, and not bother with a shower or breakfast! I can just change in the toilets when I get there. This is looking more and more like a good idea the more I think about it.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm now officially in this. I'm staying at the Premier Inn. Because it's a 10:00 start, I wouldn't normally consider doing the parkrun. But now I'm thinking that I could do the parkrun and then just it over for the start, and not bother with a shower or breakfast! I can just change in the toilets when I get there. This is looking more and more like a good idea the more I think about it.
You're going to stink.

More than usual.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just over 3 weeks to go now, and we're now up to 17 including debutant Martin Hurst. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm now officially in this. I'm staying at the Premier Inn. Because it's a 10:00 start, I wouldn't normally consider doing the parkrun. But now I'm thinking that I could do the parkrun and then just it over for the start, and not bother with a shower or breakfast! I can just change in the toilets when I get there. This is looking more and more like a good idea the more I think about it.
You're going to stink.

More than usual.
True. Missing out on breakfast might make my breath smell.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:A buffet lunch will be provided at 12:30pm and light refreshments will be on sale from the bar throughout the day. (Please advise of dietary requirements, where necessary.)
I'm a vegetarian by the way, if that information is needed.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:A buffet lunch will be provided at 12:30pm and light refreshments will be on sale from the bar throughout the day. (Please advise of dietary requirements, where necessary.)
Yes, always helpful. :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Yes, always helpful. :)
I eat seafood, but it's always useful to lump me under vegetarian because it means they actually put enough vegetarian food out.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just under a week to go now, and the defending champion Matthew Brockwell has now signed up, which takes us up to 25. ;) :) :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Sorry for lateness, but I can now come as the Go event I was being made to run tomorrow has been cancelled as they
cannot get a caretaker to open the venue - see you tomorrow!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:Sorry for lateness, but I can now come as the Go event I was being made to run tomorrow has been cancelled as they
cannot get a caretaker to open the venue - see you tomorrow!
Excellent, see you tomorrow, Tony. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Really enjoyed this event. Very well organised as always and managed to sneak in the parkrun beforehand with Giles despite the early start!

I also enjoyed the Pointless but probably would have done more so if it had been more inclusive. For something that took up quite a lot of the time, it was a shame that quite a lot of us were just randomly not included from the start. Maybe something like teams of more than 2 and/or eliminating more than one team per round in the early rounds could do the job. I don't think that something that takes up that much time should be open to just a select few.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I also enjoyed the Pointless but probably would have done more so if it had been more inclusive. For something that took up quite a lot of the time, it was a shame that quite a lot of us were just randomly not included from the start. Maybe something like teams of more than 2 and/or eliminating more than one team per round in the early rounds could do the job. I don't think that something that takes up that much time should be open to just a select few.
Thanks for the feedback, Gevin. It was definitely a bit different than when I hosted it at COHUD last year, but I suppose it was because there were more players available this time, but it is something I will look at to make it more available to everyone. 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I also enjoyed the Pointless but probably would have done more so if it had been more inclusive. For something that took up quite a lot of the time, it was a shame that quite a lot of us were just randomly not included from the start. Maybe something like teams of more than 2 and/or eliminating more than one team per round in the early rounds could do the job. I don't think that something that takes up that much time should be open to just a select few.
Thanks for the feedback, Gevin. It was definitely a bit different than when I hosted it at COHUD last year, but I suppose it was because there were more players available this time, but it is something I will look at to make it more available to everyone. 8-)
Cool. I mean it was still enjoyable and well run, and I definitely appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into it.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

James Robinson wrote:
Perhaps after each game before lunch you could hand out a slip of paper to ALL players with a single answer space, and put the question on the screen. People can answer them solo. Those with the lowest X scores get to play the rest of them in teams after lunch.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Re Pointless, I thought it was a great laugh, but the only change I would have made would have probably been to ditch the first 2 rounds and instead ask the same 6 (or so) questions for everyone to answer individually (quickly) on a bit of paper and then pass it to the person sat next to them to mark with the lowest 8 scorers then playing in the "main show" (you could even have done it in two rafts of 2/3 questions, then you could have had midway score-check(s) so tactics could then be used).

But that is a side point - what I mainly want to say is that overall the whole day was superb and I would thoroughly recommend anyone considering going to a FOCAL event to give it a try – from the big-name legendary players there was no snobbery or arrogance at all when I played them and they were all welcoming and friendly, and stayed humble, polite and encouraging throughout. The event was brilliantly and professionally organised and hosted, and a great time was had by all ages, abilities and personalities. A definite 5 star rating from me :)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Martin Hurst wrote:But that is a side point - what I mainly want to say is that overall the whole day was superb and I would thoroughly recommend anyone considering going to a FOCAL event to give it a try – from the big-name legendary players there was no snobbery or arrogance at all when I played them and they were all welcoming and friendly, and stayed humble, polite and encouraging throughout. The event was brilliantly and professionally organised and hosted, and a great time was had by all ages, abilities and personalities. A definite 5 star rating from me :)
Is it OK if I put this on the FOCAL website? Glad you enjoyed it, hope to see you at more events! :)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Martin Hurst wrote:But that is a side point - what I mainly want to say is that overall the whole day was superb and I would thoroughly recommend anyone considering going to a FOCAL event to give it a try – from the big-name legendary players there was no snobbery or arrogance at all when I played them and they were all welcoming and friendly, and stayed humble, polite and encouraging throughout. The event was brilliantly and professionally organised and hosted, and a great time was had by all ages, abilities and personalities. A definite 5 star rating from me :)
Is it OK if I put this on the FOCAL website? Glad you enjoyed it, hope to see you at more events! :)
Of course :) Send me an aptomail if you want any more soundbites!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Martin Hurst wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Of course :) Send me an aptomail if you want any more soundbites!
Brilliant, will do - cheers Martin! :D
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle