CODUB2 Countdown in Dublin 10th September 2016.

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

CODUB2 Countdown in Dublin 10th September 2016.

Post by Edward Byrne »

Date: Saturday 10th September 2016
Venue: The Old Punch Bowl, 116 Rock Rd, Booterstown, Dublin
Admission: €20 (£16.74 by 24 July’s exchange rates…)
Doors open: 9am for 10am start
Presented by: Eddy Byrne, Celtic tiger and former Countdown contestant
Games to be played: 6 15-rounders, plus the final
Finishes by: 6pm

Eddy says… “Based on the success of last year’s event, CoDub will take place again this year on Saturday 10th September, in the upstairs room of The Old Punchbowl pub in Booterstown.

It’s right beside the train station in Booterstown, which is well served by buses going to and from Dublin City, just 15 minutes away. It’s advisable to think about booking hotels and flights soon, as they’ll rise in price as time goes on.

The final should start by 5pm, with the day ending by 6pm. After 3 heats, players will be divided into groups of 8, and finals of each group will happen as like the show, with the top 2 playing each other in the final of the tournament, which will be the showpiece of the day. Prizegiving will take place after that. Players of all abilities are welcome!

SIGN UP: Entry will be €20 per person, which will also include food in the middle of the day. This can be paid via PayPal, using the address edburn07@gmail.com. If you wish to pay in an alternative way please email focalcountdown@gmail.com or you can ring me on +353872582394.

For after the event, we have hired a room downstairs, which includes a pool table and a darts board. It promises to be a great weekend which you don’t want to miss!”

Confirmed Participants (32)
Hazel Drury
Heather Styles
Thomas Cappleman
Gerry Tynan
Callum Pickering
Mark Murray
Adam Dexter
Ryan Taylor
Michelle Nevitt
Chris Marshall
Stewart Gordon
Brian McGee
Bertrand Adam
Gevin Chapwell
Sean Fletcher
Eddie McCullagh
Vincent Sweeney
Mark O'Brien
Liam Tiernan
Jonathan Wynn
Eoin Jackson
Kevin McMahon
Matthew Tassier
Lynne Cumberland
Dan McColm
Sean Lonergan
Kevin Jackson
Brian Sweeney
Carmel Sweeney
Emily Cox
Silke Hattenhauer
Alan Sweeney
Last edited by Edward Byrne on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:50 am, edited 19 times in total.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Re: CODUB2 Countdown in Dublin 10th September 2016.

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I have looked at flights to Dublin for this event and they seem to have gone up astronomically from last year.
For this reason, unfortunately, I think I'm out of this one. :(
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Anthony Endsor wrote:I have looked at flights to Dublin for this event and they seem to have gone up astronomically from last year.
For this reason, unfortunately, I think I'm out of this one. :(
I think I've read before that flights are at their cheapest 3-4 months before departure, so might be worth checking again in a couple of months.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

I have flown to Dublin 5 times within the last few months and have managed to get a return flight every time (including over Easter with return Easter Monday) for under £50. usually £20-£30. Generally best direct on the Ryanair website and as Jen says, a few months closer to the time
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Such a shame that I won't be able to defend my title this year, as I'll be heading on my holidays to Italy on the day of the tournament.... :( :cry:

Ah well, I'll be back in 2017!!! ;) :) :D
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Thanks Jen and Mark :)
I have done a bit of research and found that dates for June and July are currently about the same price I paid last year so it looks like it might be worth waiting a few weeks. I always thought the only way was up for prices once the flights were released but it seems that may not necessarily be the case.
Return flights for under £50 would be great Mark as last year I got a return for £45 with Aer Lingus. Cheapest prices up to now though for September are around £77.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Delighted that Eddy and rose are running this again, great day form start to finish last year
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

May consider this one but unfortunately I will back at college doing GCSEs I will let you know whether I can attend or not.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

would be great to have you Tracey, it may start just before the college term? I am not back until the week following this event.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

We're up to 10 people now. If you want to make sure of your place please send me your money.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

[quote="Edward Byrne"]Based on the success of last years event Co.Dublin will take place again this year on Saturday 10th September in the upstairs room in The Old Punchbowl pub in Booterstown. It is right beside the train station in Booterstown and is well served by buses going to and from Dublin City. Just 15 minutes from Dublin. It would be advisable to think about booking hotels and flights soon as they will rise in price as time goes on. Doors will be open at 9am with a 10am start time. We shall stop for lunch for an hour at some point. The final should start by 5pm with the day ending by 6pm. Each Player is guaranteed to play 6 games during the day. It will most likely be 6 15 rounders again. After 3 heats, players will be divided into groups of 8, and finals of each group will happen as like the show, with the top 2 playing each other in the final of the tournament, which will be the showpiece of the day. Prize giving will take place after that. Players of all abilities are welcome. Will again be hosted by Edward Byrne and Rose Boyle. This event will be part of the FOCAL countdown events league. for more information on this go to http://focalcountdown.co.uk/ Entry will be €20 per person, this will also include food in the middle of the day. This can be paid via paypal, my address on this being, edburn07@gmail.com . If you wish to pay in an alternative way please message me. You can ring me on +353872582394 . Afterwards we have hired a room downstairs which includes a pool table and a darts board. It promises to be a great weekend which you dont want to miss!!

Confirmed Participants (12)
Hazel Drury
Heather Styles
Anthony Endsor
Thomas Cappleman
Gerry Tynan
Callum Pickering
Mark Murray
Adam Dexter
Ryan Taylor
Michelle Nevitt
Chris Marshall
Stewart Gordon
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

[quote="Edward Byrne"]Based on the success of last years event Co.Dublin will take place again this year on Saturday 10th September in the upstairs room in The Old Punchbowl pub in Booterstown. It is right beside the train station in Booterstown and is well served by buses going to and from Dublin City. Just 15 minutes from Dublin. It would be advisable to think about booking hotels and flights soon as they will rise in price as time goes on. Doors will be open at 9am with a 10am start time. We shall stop for lunch for an hour at some point. The final should start by 5pm with the day ending by 6pm. Each Player is guaranteed to play 6 games during the day. It will most likely be 6 15 rounders again. After 3 heats, players will be divided into groups of 8, and finals of each group will happen as like the show, with the top 2 playing each other in the final of the tournament, which will be the showpiece of the day. Prize giving will take place after that. Players of all abilities are welcome. Will again be hosted by Edward Byrne and Rose Boyle. This event will be part of the FOCAL countdown events league. for more information on this go to http://focalcountdown.co.uk/ Entry will be €20 per person, this will also include food in the middle of the day. This can be paid via paypal, my address on this being, edburn07@gmail.com . If you wish to pay in an alternative way please message me. You can ring me on +353872582394 . Afterwards we have hired a room downstairs which includes a pool table and a darts board. It promises to be a great weekend which you dont want to miss!!

Confirmed Participants (12)
Hazel Drury
Heather Styles
Anthony Endsor
Thomas Cappleman
Gerry Tynan
Callum Pickering
Mark Murray
Adam Dexter
Ryan Taylor
Michelle Nevitt
Chris Marshall
Stewart Gordon
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

We are up to 17 now, with Series 64 champion Ed McCullagh, it would be great if more of the irish apterous contingent signed up, so please get in touch soon, 1 month to go today! People of all abilities welcome, tell your friends, tell your family, bring your cats and dogs!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Not my best year for Co Events.
Lincoln - arrived late
Bristol - Was ill all weekend
Leeds - Got lost and arrived an hour late back from lunch
Milton Keynes - Had to pull out
Dublin - Had to pull out

Is there a prize for the most chequered Co event track record of the year?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Anthony Endsor wrote:Not my best year for Co Events...
Ah, but Anthony, you were at the very first COLIN all those years ago and no-one can take that away from you, and you're still doing it now. That's some staying power, which is far more important than winning if you ask me.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Very true Jim. And I intend to go on for many more years to come. As a famous Arnold said once 'I'll be back' :P
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Deadline to sign up for this is today - get paying up! With 31 paid up attendees, this is shaping up to be the fourth most attended event of the year (46 for Lincoln and MK, 36 for Bristol) - can you make it the third best attended?

Those coming over from the UK can still get cheap flights - if you just wanted to do the 1 full day in Dublin, the following return flights are available from these places for under £100:

Or if you wanted 2 full days, long weekend flights (leaving Fri, returning Mon) are available for under £100 from these places:

Go on, sign up - you know you want to :)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0908/815020 ... us-strike/

There's a bus strike going on today and tomorrow in Dublin, just so you all know.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Really enjoyed this event. Thanks to Eddy and Rose for running it and doing such a great job, and to everyone who came and made it such an enjoyable event. And congratulations to Edward McCullagh for winning it.