Co:Leeds 2016 - 30th April

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Co:Leeds 2016 - 30th April

Post by Callum Todd »

Hello folks, after months of preparation and unofficial blabbing to everyone, I'm pleased to be finally making a formal public announcement for what I believe is the first ever co event to be held in Leeds! I will now be accepting entries for Co:Leeds 2016, whichwill take place on Saturday 30th April and will be part of the inaugural FOCAL.

The Venue
The George is a marvellous pub in a great central location, around about ten minutes' walk from the train station. We'll be in the downstairs cellar bar.

HERE Maps link: Click here

For those arriving via bus/coach, there are several small bus services that run around the city from the bus and coach station which will take you very close to the venue. For any drivers, there are P+D parking spaces available on Great George Street but not many, and the one-way Loop system of Leeds can make it difficult to turn back if you can't find a space, so I would recommend trying out one of the large multi-storey car parks around Leeds, some of which are within a ten minute walk from the venue.

The Itinerary
Doors to the venue will open at 11am, with the draw for Round 1 taking place at around 11.45 ready for play to commence at 12 noon.
Lunch will be held after Round 1. The venue has an excellent selection of food at very reasonable prices. You can see the menu here.
We should be all wrapped up by around 6.30pm, although I would recommend trying to ensure your availability until 7pm just in case things run over.

The Host
Some dozy twat.

The Prizes
As standard there will be trophies on hand for the top 3 finishers, but I will also be aiming to provide a healthily sized range of novelty 'mystery' prizes that could potentially be won by anyone on the day, regardless of overall game performance.

The Entrance Fee
Admittance to the event will cost just £10, payable to me via Paypal at this link.
If you would prefer not to use PayPal please get in touch with me to arrange an alternate payment method.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you all for reading and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in April!

A Facebook page for the event is available here.

Confirmed Entries (30):
Zarte Siempre
Heather Styles
Paul Worsley
Jack Worsley
Adam Dexter
Ben Wilson
Innis Carson
Matty Artell
Thomas Carey
Jayne Wisniewski
Andrew Sullivan
Philip Jarvis
Jeff Clayton
Toby Pereira
Conrad Teixeira
Tracey Mills
Oli Moore
Dan McColm
Jen Steadman
Eddy Byrne
Stephen Read
Anthony Endsor
Chris Marshall
James Laverty
Richard Heald
Andy McGurn
Kirk Bevins
Dave Benson
Stewart Gordon
Joseph Krol
Last edited by Callum Todd on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:48 am, edited 29 times in total.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Re: Co:Leeds 2016 - 30th April

Post by Andy McGurn »

What format will it be? Edinburgh style, Bristol style or something else?

Its obviously great that a CO event is coming to Leeds.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

As Callum seems to have wandered off - I'll try and answer for you, Andy.

Unless his plans have altered drastically, the tournament will follow the same path as Lincoln does.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

The same path as Lincoln? You mean train, pub, Travelodge, Little Chef, tournament, pub, McDonalds, Travelodge, Little Chef, tournament, pub, train?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Innis and I have booked our accommodation at the Vicar Lane Travelodge - where's everyone else at?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Innis and I have booked our accommodation at the Vicar Lane Travelodge - where's everyone else at?
IF I'm going it will be the Ibis Budget, just opposite the bus station. But need to wait for confirmation of dates of other arrangements first.

On the plus side I think the Ibis budget allows upto 4 people to stay in a room together so if I'm available I'll be willing to do a group booking.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

We looked into that, but it was the same price, and further away.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've just had a look into this, and the Woodhouse Moor parkrun is conveniently located for this, if anyone is interested (you all are). Also as this CO event has a nice late start time, there would be plenty of time to do the parkrun before the event.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've just booked the Vicar Lane Travelodge as well. Just Friday night as I'm leaving on Saturday evening.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Good evening Countdown Enthusiasts

For those of you undecided whether or not you want to attend Co:Leeds,or decided you are going to come (and why wouldn't you) and haven't sorted out accomodation for it,please consider this....

Myself and Edward Byrne will be staying at the Ibis Budget in Leeds City Centre for both the Friday and Satirday night, and if we can find a third roommate this will reduce our cost to a relatively low £53 for the weekend.

I have stayed in the ibis budget several times and I can honestly say I have never had a bad night. It is convientely located just outside the city centre, opposite the coach station, a 15 minte walk from the train station, and a 20 minute walk from the Co:Leeds venue. There are also buses which goes to the venue, but having been on a bus in Leeds city centre, I reckon walking would be quicker.

If you are interested in staying with us, pplease let me know ASAP by fb message/phone/text/email.

Many Thanks and keep safe!
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

James Laverty wrote:Good evening Countdown Enthusiasts

For those of you undecided whether or not you want to attend Co:Leeds,or decided you are going to come (and why wouldn't you) and haven't sorted out accomodation for it,please consider this....

Myself and Edward Byrne will be staying at the Ibis Budget in Leeds City Centre for both the Friday and Satirday night, and if we can find a third roommate this will reduce our cost to a relatively low £53 for the weekend.

I have stayed in the ibis budget several times and I can honestly say I have never had a bad night. It is convientely located just outside the city centre, opposite the coach station, a 15 minte walk from the train station, and a 20 minute walk from the Co:Leeds venue. There are also buses which goes to the venue, but having been on a bus in Leeds city centre, I reckon walking would be quicker.

If you are interested in staying with us, pplease let me know ASAP by fb message/phone/text/email.

Many Thanks and keep safe!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Bump. Get fucking hype.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Live tweets of the final HERE
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

A briiliant tourney from Callum Todd and a very well run a briiliant final from Thomas Carey and Innis Carson who were magnificent through out, but take nothing away from Jen Steadman and Jack Worsley who performed admirably, very happy with my top ten finish a huge thank you on behalf of everybody who made this tourney possible and highly entertaining hopefully I will see most of you in future tourneys and hopefully CO:Leeds 2017 in the meantime happy countdowning folks !
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover