Co:Dub Countdown in Dublin 14th November 2015

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Co:Dub Countdown in Dublin 14th November 2015

Post by Edward Byrne »

I am happy to announce the first ever Dublin Countdown event; Co:Dublin. This event will take place on Saturday 14th November 2015

Venue is the Tara Towers Hotel, Rock Road, Dublin 4.

Presented by Edward Byrne, everybody is guaranteed to play six games and we will be playing using the Bristol Classroom system.

Three Heat matches drawn against a random opponent using the new 15 round format LLNLLNLLNLLLLNC

Then based on the rankings after the first three games, players will be split into groups of 8.

There Will be 15 round Quarter Final Semi Final and Finals where 1st will play 8th of each group, 2nd and 7th 3rd and 6th and 4th and 5th.

The day will then be concluded with a 15 round final featuring the two winning semi Finalists of Group A, final game will occur at or shortly after 5pm with prize giving directly after.

Aiming for a 10am start so if this is the case, doors will be open at 9am.

Admission costs €20 and you can secure your place anytime, you can pay by paypal. my details are Edward Byrne ---> edburn07@gmail.com You can also pay by check, address available upon request.

As I am expecting a lot of UK contestants, flights from the UK to Ireland are fairly reasonably priced, especially when booked months in advance. Accomodation in Dublin is fairly cheap to considering the exchange rate between the pound and euro. I will do research into accommodation in Dublin to give an idea of the best deals.

Confirmed Entrants (28)
James Robinson
Adam Dexter
Lucy Westwood
Brian McGee
Chris Marshall
Ryan Taylor
Michelle Nevitt
Mark Murray
Anthony Endsor
Heather Styles
Nick Turner
Jonathan Wynn
Jack Slane
Eoin Jackson
Hannah Kingston
Stewart Gordon
Paul Curtayne
Sean De Loughry
Pauline Russell
Rita Hennessey
Mark Hartnett
Gerry Tynan
Kevin Jackson
Michelle Jackson
Edward McCullagh
Ian Linton
Kevin McMahon
Apterous Prune
If you have booked your flights and accomodation, why not get cracking with the payments? :)
Last edited by Edward Byrne on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Co:Dub Countdown in Dublin 14th November 2015

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Link to the Facebook event page

Also, the Friday and Saturday night in hotels are still pretty cheap. The Aspect hotel (which looks pretty decent) is at a total of £60. Bargain!

Plus, if you're thinking of doing Dublin for the 2 nights or even 3 nights (like JR) then get yourself a Visitor Leap Card for €19.50 at the SPAR in the airport. Absolute bargain of a deal on public transport as it also includes transport to and from the airport (which is €10 return each). It lets you use the DART (which you will probably be using to get to Tara Towers Hotel on the event day) but also the LUAS tram and all DublinBus services too.

If you stay in one of the West Dublin hotels like the Aspect then it is only 8 minutes from Heuston station by train (and Heuston is only a short tram ride from the very heart of Dublin). Conveniently placed and cheap as chips.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was thinking that if I decide to go to this I might stay on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. As usual for CO-events this year, it's on an F1GP weekend (why do you think Lewis Hamilton never comes?), so I might hang out in my hotel room on Sunday evening and have a Brazilian GP party.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Absolute bargain of a deal on public transport as it also includes transport to and from the airport (which is €10 return each).
Really?? It was €1.90 each way for a bus return from the airport when I was there last May... :?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Absolute bargain of a deal on public transport as it also includes transport to and from the airport (which is €10 return each).
Really?? It was €1.90 each way for a bus return from the airport when I was there last May... :?
Yeah I think that was the price on the website. Well, for DublinBus I think it was but maybe other providers are cheaper.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Only just noticing this now. First co event outside Britain? Would love to head up but can't make it - possibly full anyway? Anyway, the leap card does sound like great value, good shout Ryan. You'll find Dublin Bus will do cheaper runs that are extensions of local routes, but at the airport when you walk out it's either aircoach or the Dublin Bus shuttle which are more expensive.

Here' a cracking poem to get you in the mood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE30AnPSznk . The lighthouse is Poolbeg, and it's not too far from the Tara Towers. I highly recommend a walk down the pier if you have time. The view from that spot, as close to the centre of Dublin bay as it's possible to be on solid ground, is absolutely stunning.

Enjoy Dublin responsibly.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

ok, well, it's an hour and 12 minutes walk from the Tara towers, but hop on the dart to sandymount and shorten the walk :)

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.34091 ... 312313!3e2
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Thank you Ed/Eddy/Edward and Rose for putting on a great tournament :D

Well done to James Robinson to winning, and to Kevin McMahon for finishing second.

And thanks to Jonathan Wynn for putting me up for the night, and to everyone else for putting up with me ;)
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

glad you enjoyed it ed, hopefully i'll see you at another co.event in the not too distant future