A Possible COBIR??

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.

Would You Consider Attending This Possible CO-Event??

Yes
18%
Maybe
18%
No
64%

Total votes: 22

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

A Possible COBIR??

Post by James Robinson »

Here's an idea that we (me and Jeff) wanted to mention to all of you guys in a sort of survey format (although, this time, you'll get the results straight away. ;) ).

We recently received a leaflet from a hotel in Birmingham offering an interesting 24-hour package, which would cost £110+VAT pp (or £132pp, if you prefer :P ).

Included in the price is a room in this 4* hotel, evening dinner (either in the restaurant, or a barbecue on the rooftop), and breakfast too. 8-)

This is purely just for feedback purposes at the moment, just to see if there is any interest in this for a future event. :)

We look forward to hearing from you guys. ;) :) :D
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Re: A Possible COBIR??

Post by Richard Priest »

I'd go for it :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Not for me, sorry.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I'd attend a CO Event in Birmingham if the price was right, but I wouldn't be interested at that price.
Assuming the average CO Event price of maybe £15-£25, (so £20) that would make the accomodation £112. I would expect to do better than that, so sorry I have to say no to this one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So is the accommodation compulsory? Presumably you could just go somewhere else. It's like when you buy some product and they force their own insurance policy on you as well when you could go elsewhere for that.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:So is the accommodation compulsory? Presumably you could just go somewhere else. It's like when you buy some product and they force their own insurance policy on you as well when you could go elsewhere for that.
Well, it would be a big waste of accommodation, wouldn't it :?: :?: :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:So is the accommodation compulsory? Presumably you could just go somewhere else. It's like when you buy some product and they force their own insurance policy on you as well when you could go elsewhere for that.
If you don't stay in a room, someone else can. They don't have to burn down the hotel. What's wasted?

You can't have a CO event where people have to pay for a room in a particular hotel to enter. For one thing, what if they live nearby and don't need to stay anywhere?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
If you don't stay in a room, someone else can. They don't have to burn down the hotel. What's wasted?

You can't have a CO event where people have to pay for a room in a particular hotel to enter. For one thing, what if they live nearby and don't need to stay anywhere?
This was just a consultation to see it had legs, based on the results so far, it's fair to say this is probably dead in the water :!: :!: :P :P
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I really don't understand what the hell you're asking, James. If you hadn't put the cost of a night's stay there, more people may have said yes. The simple fact is, Brum is easily accessible via train, and many people wouldn't require an overnight hotel stay. If every Co-Event started by saying "Would you like to go to this event, it'll be over £100 to attend", then I very much doubt any of them would have, as you say, "had legs". How about having a poll saying "Would you like a Co-Event in Brum, costs to follow, but normally in the range of £15-£20."
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Adam Dexter wrote:I really don't understand what the hell you're asking, James. If you hadn't put the cost of a night's stay there, more people may have said yes. The simple fact is, Brum is easily accessible via train, and many people wouldn't require an overnight hotel stay. If every Co-Event started by saying "Would you like to go to this event, it'll be over £100 to attend", then I very much doubt any of them would have, as you say, "had legs". How about having a poll saying "Would you like a Co-Event in Brum, costs to follow, but normally in the range of £15-£20."
As much as I didn't support the idea Adam, you seem to have entirely missed the point...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Well, it would be a big waste of accommodation, wouldn't it :?: :?: :P

This was just a consultation to see it had legs, based on the results so far, it's fair to say this is probably dead in the water :!: :!: :P :P
So are you saying that, under the conditions that are the subject of the consultation, you would have to pay for the hotel room to enter the event? You've managed to avoid addressing this point.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

James, this idea may not be dead if you find somewhere near the centre of birmingham that will let us host for a decent price. If you do find a place that is reasonably priced I would strongly consider attending as I live pretty close
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

It would probably have been fine if it wasn't for the 'compulsory' hotel accomodation.
As has already been said, many people wouldn't need accomodation for Birmingham, and it's a shame because it is actually a really good centre point in the country to stage an event.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

The Birmingham Go Tournament is at Newman House, the University Catholic Chaplaincy, and is cheap.
If you want me to get the contact details let me know.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Ah, I passed there once. Got 200 quid for it.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Andy Platt wrote:Ah, I passed there once. Got 200 quid for it.
HAHAHAHA