CoStAl - Countdown in St. Albans - Saturday 12th July 2014

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Re: CoStAl - Countdown in St. Albans - Saturday 12th July 20

Post by Mark Murray »

Make it 17 James... Glad to confirm I can definitely make it...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark Murray wrote:Make it 17 James... Glad to confirm I can definitely make it...
Nice to have you aboard, possible champion-elect. 8-)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Both Worsleys will be coming too. :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:Both Worsleys will be coming too. :D
Indeed, you're up there to make it 19 now. ;) :) :D
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

At some point later on this week, probably at the weekend, I'll be looking to book a stay in the Travelodge on the Friday night (the 11th July). If anyone is planning to do the same and is looking for a roomie to cut costs, let me know.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm officially in now.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm officially in now.
Indeed, you make it 24 up now. 8-)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

James, I still have every intention of walking to St. Albans for this event. You can add another category below 'Interested Entries' for 'Overeager Spectators' and plonk me there ;).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Adam Gillard wrote:James, I still have every intention of walking to St. Albans for this event. You can add another category below 'Interested Entries' for 'Overeager Spectators' and plonk me there ;).
Fair enough, AG. Will do. ;) :) :D
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Two more confirmed here.

As we need to decide on whether to stay over or not, is the afterparty likely to also be in The County Club or are other plans afoot? Is there likely to be a contingent hanging around until late evening?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Collinge wrote:Two more confirmed here.

As we need to decide on whether to stay over or not, is the afterparty likely to also be in The County Club or are other plans afoot? Is there likely to be a contingent hanging around until late evening?
I think there are plans to be in the club, as the 3rd place play-off will be on the telly, if people wish to watch it. If not, the main town centre is 5 mins walk away, and there are plenty of other pubs/restaurants in the area, but I'd imagine a lot are staying around. :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Phil Collinge wrote:Two more confirmed here.

I think there are plans to be in the club, as the 3rd place play-off will be on the telly, if people wish to watch it. If not, the main town centre is 5 mins walk away, and there are plenty of other pubs/restaurants in the area, but I'd imagine a lot are staying around. :D
So you've managed to arrange a TV deal for the 3rd place play-off but not for the final? Crazy times.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Yeah, I can't make this.

The unusually early start makes travelling down on the Saturday unreasonable - perhaps highlighted by how few people in the list of attendees live North of Birmingham.
Adding that to extortionate costs for travel and accommodation and the whole thing becomes completely unfeasible.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Platt wrote:Yeah, I can't make this.

The unusually early start makes travelling down on the Saturday unreasonable - perhaps highlighted by how few people in the list of attendees live North of Birmingham.
Adding that to extortionate costs for travel and accommodation and the whole thing becomes completely unfeasible.
No worries, mate. Maybe next time. :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just a week and a half to go now, and we've just hit the magic THIRTY mark, thanks to Innis. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Still plenty of time for you last few entrants to sign up for the CoStAl extravaganza :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I'm actually in Hatfield (next door to Snallbans) that night, so I might stop in for a pint if not the game. What's the approximate end time?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark Deeks wrote:I'm actually in Hatfield (next door to Snallbans) that night, so I might stop in for a pint if not the game. What's the approximate end time?
Roughly 6 o'clock. :D
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Maybe not then.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
James Laverty wrote:I might now be able to make this so switch me to interested. Won't know till end of May/early June however
That doesn't matter, James. Me and Jeff can wait. :)
kerryalcock wrote:Interested - it's a few hours travel but fairly cheap to get to.
Only thing is accommodation as I'd rather stay two nights - where is everyone else planning on staying, and does anyone need a roomie? (I don't snore and I make a mean cup of tea)
I wouldn't mind a roomie, but I've already booked my accommodation at the Quality Hotel, so if the offer for a cuppa is still there.... ;)
I'm considering staying on the Friday given that I might be in London that day anyway, and I can't be bothered to go home in the evening and then get up early the next morning to travel to St Albans. The Quality Hotel looks like it's in a reasonable location. The Travelodge is miles away so I would consider that a pointless move. Anyone else considering staying at the Quality? I can hang out with James Robinson anyway.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

We're in The Quality (just for the Saturday night).

What you'd save in the Travelodge you'd lose in cab fares anyway. Quality is walking (staggering) distance from the venue .
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Now that Countdown has switched to the ODO, will this event use that as its word source or are we sticking with the ODE3?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:Now that Countdown has switched to the ODO, will this event use that as its word source or are we sticking with the ODE3?
We will be using the ODO, although I will say now that there will be no ODO-only conundrums.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Right well I've finally decided to try and organise myself - I'll just be coming for the day - because I booked 12 weeks prior to the event I got the train for a mere £16 return - it does mean however that I'll be leaving Kidderminster (West Mids) at the scary time of 06:02 and won't be back until 22:36 with a mere 3 trains and a walk through Birmingham city centre in the early morning to deal with - the things I go through to get to these events!

Will anyone else be getting into St. Alban's Abbey station at 09:17 or similar? I've had a look at the walk from there to the event and it seems to be a choice between a 1 mile walk using no fewer than 6 roads and a riparian stroll, or around 1.5 mile going up one road and along another - decisions decisions. Anyone in the area got any suggestions for a West Midlander lost in the deepest home counties?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Adam Dexter wrote:Will anyone else be getting into St. Alban's Abbey station at 09:17 or similar? I've had a look at the walk from there to the event and it seems to be a choice between a 1 mile walk using no fewer than 6 roads and a riparian stroll, or around 1.5 mile going up one road and along another - decisions decisions. Anyone in the area got any suggestions for a West Midlander lost in the deepest home counties?
I suggest the 1.5 mile walk along the roads. I went up that way on Sunday to scout out the River Ver / Colne Valley Walk that Google Maps had suggested (starting from Burydell Lane) and what I found was two rows of thickets with a thimble-sized space in between. I will be wearing smart clothing so certainly won't be going that way. I was also worried I'd get lost! I'm going to go the extra half mile along St Stephen's Hill, London Road and Alma Road (B6424). It means 11.5 miles rather than 11 miles, so isn't much difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:Will anyone else be getting into St. Alban's Abbey station at 09:17 or similar? I've had a look at the walk from there to the event and it seems to be a choice between a 1 mile walk using no fewer than 6 roads and a riparian stroll, or around 1.5 mile going up one road and along another - decisions decisions. Anyone in the area got any suggestions for a West Midlander lost in the deepest home counties?
I suggest the 1.5 mile walk along the roads. I went up that way on Sunday to scout out the River Ver / Colne Valley Walk that Google Maps had suggested (starting from Burydell Lane) and what I found was two rows of thickets with a thimble-sized space in between. I will be wearing smart clothing so certainly won't be going that way. I was also worried I'd get lost! I'm going to go the extra half mile along St Stephen's Hill, London Road and Alma Road (B6424). It means 11.5 miles rather than 11 miles, so isn't much difference to me in the grand scheme of things.
Well I hope it's not hot. Walking 11.5 miles in smart clothing at the height of summer could mean it's not that smart by the end of it!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hi,

not really on this forum anymore, although I've followed this thread in case I missed an important announcement.

Just thought I'd offer a lift to anyone carless staying over in Hatfield, as I'll be driving to St Albans from Hatfield and could save you bus/taxi fares.

Aiming to set off around 9am ish to leave reasonable time to drive, park and settle in before 10am start.

I'm fairly flexible on return journey timing, although realistically, if a few people want lifts, the likelihood is that you might need to make your own way back if we can't all agree when to leave.

I have 6 spare seats available, but please use aptomail (user Julie McCarthy) to reply, as I don't intend posting on here again unless an unforeseen reason crops up.

Julie McCarthy
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

39 and counting, what's the record attendance for a Co-event? This must be close.

We should have a statland page for Co-events somewhere.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Collinge wrote:39 and counting, what's the record attendance for a Co-event? This must be close.

47/48 at COLIN back in January. And we're actually now at 40, thanks to Ned. ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Collinge wrote:39 and counting, what's the record attendance for a Co-event? This must be close.

47/48 at COLIN back in January. And we're actually now at 40, thanks to Ned. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm now booked in at the Quality Hotel but only for Friday night because I can't be bothered to get up really early and travel on Saturday.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Anyone planning on driving back to London (or that direction) any time after 10.30pm on Saturday night? I live in Stanmore, which is on the way back to London from St Albans.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Any news on the winners & otherwise from the event? Gutted not to have been able to make it so eager to hear all the gossip. :-)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

1st Jack Worsley 2nd Callum Todd, 3rd Innis Carson 4th Mark Tournoff
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Superb event, massive thanks to James and Jeff who were excellent hosts as always.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

I had great fun! Unencumbered by silly things like playing Countdown, I was able to get round most of the tables and speak to most of the people attending. Apologies if you're reading this and I didn't speak to you! I think I placed 41st out of 40.

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

That was a wonderful event, I'm really glad to have made the trip. Thanks very much to Jeff and James (and Rob Gibney) for all their work in preparing it, and running the day in such an enthusiastic and professional manner, it really made the day what it was. Was a pleasure to meet so many people for the first time, as well as see some familiar faces again after what feels like a very long time. The games themselves were great too and full of memorable moments - congrats to Jack for playing so well through the day keeping his winning streak alive, and to Callum for running him so agonisingly close - definitely one to keep an eye on in future events!

Hope to be able to attend more Jeff/James events in future, and hope to see lots of you again in London next month!
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

was a great day really smoothly run..great to meet a lot of people for the first time and definitely encourages me to take part in the future. well done to Jack and Callum for an exciting finale!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Many thanks to Jeff, James and Rob. A very enjoyable and well-run event as always.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Absolutely fantastic day and a great event that was run excellently. Many thanks to James, Jeff and Rob.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yep, I had a great day so thanks to everyone involved - James and Jeff for organising, but also everyone else in attendance that made the day what it was. It was also good to see Adam Gillard and Marks Deeks who came along even though they weren't playing.

By the way, if anyone is considering staying at the Quality Hotel in St Albans in the future, the buffet breakfast is reasonably good, but the tables are far too small and crammed together to enjoy your meal properly. It was also very noisy at night - from the street, other people in the hotel and from some constant low noise that the hotel itself seemed to make.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gevin, I would absolutely be willing to pay £1 per year to read a hotel review blog should you wish to start one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Gevin, I would absolutely be willing to pay £1 per year to read a hotel review blog should you wish to start one.
It's not exactly a job is it?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

While in St. Albans, me and James Robinson discovered that we both got the same 9 letter word while watching this game way back in 1999. Just to think, I wasn't even 80 then. How time flies.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:While in St. Albans, me and James Robinson discovered that we both got the same 9 letter word while watching this game way back in 1999. Just to think, I wasn't even 80 then. How time flies.
Yeah, that was something.................. :roll: :D