The Hangover- The Poll

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.

The secondary hangover event should be...

An annual event, it was great!
90%
An event held every other year, it was fun but a bit much every year.
No votes
Saved for special occasions, every 5 or 10 years.
10%
A one-off, never to be repeated.
No votes

Total votes: 21

Ben Wilson
Legend

The Hangover- The Poll

Post by Ben Wilson »

Might as well strike whilst the iron's hot- for the first time ever at COLIN X there were two back-to-back tournaments. This was a complete experiment, but with 30 players- 6 more than I got at the very first COLIN- it seems to have worked pretty well. The question is, is it worth repeating? Feel free to express your opinion in vote form or in text form below. Please only vote if you're likely to enter a hangover-style event in the future.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: The Hangover- The Poll

Post by Jon Corby »

I voted annual event, great. The first train out of Hykeham is traditionally 15:08, and until this year the Sunday consisted of sitting around in little splintered groups feeling like shit and looking glum.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Seems to me like only "annual" or "one-off" make sense. There's nothing about every other year, or indeed every 5/10 years, that sticks out at Colin that means one event should be deserving of a hangover and one shouldn't. Each event is great unto itself, of its own moment, and the year/anniversary is just a number that gives you something different to write on the goodies.

So yeah, you either liked it or you didn't. I voted for yes as I'm very much keen to do it in the future, though the answers were obviously phrased for those who actually took part.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:I voted annual event, great. The first train out of Hykeham is traditionally 15:08, and until this year the Sunday consisted of sitting around in little splintered groups feeling like shit and looking glum.
The fuck? It sounds like you've forgotten about The Centurion (or whatever it is called), all the quizzing with Jim Bentley, and of course The Run To The Train Station From Hell.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yeah, I'd quite like to see it become a permanent addition. Similar to Jon, it's better to be hungover and playing Countdown, than hungover just sat around waiting for the train home. Having said that, there were times in the Fox and Hounds after the event where everyone just looked withered. And there were some pretty disgusting beer poos in the toilets.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nah, the Sunday was pretty cool, lots of darts and shit going on. There hasn't even really been a Fox & Hounds presence on the Sunday before. Unless I just wasn't invited.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I've changed my vote about 5 times now. But eventually settled on annual. Sunday was enjoyable. Getting back on the evening was a pain, so I'll do it earlier next year.

What I would change is maybe have a general knowledge quiz on the Saturday night. Duno if you guys think that would be good or not, but I and a few others were disappointed the quiz machine was dead this year.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

As one of the few who couldn't get the fuck out of bed for it, I still had a really good time and it was definitely worthwhile.

Having said that, maybe something other than just another Countdown tournament might work? You could have other disciplines, other formats, other board games, quizzes, complex crosswords... whatever really. Everyone knows the main business takes place on Saturday, so another six games of Countdown felt like a bit of a comedown. However if there was, say, a knockout conundrum tournament, or some sort of numbers tournament, that'd mix things up a bit. Fuck knows, I'm just brainstorming.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I wasn't there so my opinion is a bit redundant, but, given that it's a morning-after thing, maybe make it start a bit later?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:As one of the few who couldn't get the fuck out of bed for it, I still had a really good time and it was definitely worthwhile.

Having said that, maybe something other than just another Countdown tournament might work? You could have other disciplines, other formats, other board games, quizzes, complex crosswords... whatever really. Everyone knows the main business takes place on Saturday, so another six games of Countdown felt like a bit of a comedown. However if there was, say, a knockout conundrum tournament, or some sort of numbers tournament, that'd mix things up a bit. Fuck knows, I'm just brainstorming.
That could work. I'd rather numbers than conundrums, because with conundrums it would just be the same people winning. But as you say, it could be something completely different. Not eating though.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I thought the extra mini-event was a brilliant idea, and I'd definitely come to it again next year. For those who didn't do as well as they expected at the main event, it's something to look forward to the following day. I like Jono's idea about new formats. I don't see the Hangover as just a smaller copy of COLIN, it's more like COLIN's cheekier younger brother. Perhaps in future events it could try some of those experimental ideas and tweaks that have been suggested in the past for co-events, like ten-letter conundrums or Goatdown rounds?
Mark Deeks wrote:I wasn't there so my opinion is a bit redundant, but, given that it's a morning-after thing, maybe make it start a bit later?
Problem with that is that either you do a shorter lunch break, or you finish later. Finishing later isn't really an option, as realistically it has to be done and dusted by 3pm so people can catch trains. And you really don't want to have to rush through the event.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:I wasn't there so my opinion is a bit redundant, but, given that it's a morning-after thing, maybe make it start a bit later?
Problem with that is that either you do a shorter lunch break, or you finish later. Finishing later isn't really an option, as realistically it has to be done and dusted by 3pm so people can catch trains. And you really don't want to have to rush through the event.
Agreed. Then perhaps the best option is a "soft start" where it doesn't matter if you turn up a bit late, essentially allowing both the normal people and the drunks to start at their own pace on Sunday without affecting anyone else's enjoyment. If Jono's wishes for format changes happen then this could be in the form of, say, a small tournament for the first hour, and then the main thang happening after that, giving people two times to begin.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:I thought the extra mini-event was a brilliant idea, and I'd definitely come to it again next year. For those who didn't do as well as they expected at the main event, it's something to look forward to the following day. I like Jono's idea about new formats. I don't see the Hangover as just a smaller copy of COLIN, it's more like COLIN's cheekier younger brother. Perhaps in future events it could try some of those experimental ideas and tweaks that have been suggested in the past for co-events, like ten-letter conundrums or Goatdown rounds?
The lunch break was unnecessary. That's your solution right there.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I don't think you should really start building in allowances for people who haven't got the courtesy to turn up on time after the effort you've put in. If there's a 10am start with an optional 'lazy' 11am start, these cunts'll probably think they'll go for the 11am, and then still be late for that, because they're ungrateful selfish cunts.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:I don't think you should really start building in allowances for people who haven't got the courtesy to turn up on time after the effort you've put in. If there's a 10am start with an optional 'lazy' 11am start, these cunts'll probably think they'll go for the 11am, and then still be late for that, because they're ungrateful selfish cunts.
I agree, but if you did away with the lunch break (which you don't need for a two-round tournament), you could probably get away with starting later anyway. People were mostly waiting around for round 2 to start.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I don't think you should really start building in allowances for people who haven't got the courtesy to turn up on time after the effort you've put in. If there's a 10am start with an optional 'lazy' 11am start, these cunts'll probably think they'll go for the 11am, and then still be late for that, because they're ungrateful selfish cunts.
I agree, but if you did away with the lunch break (which you don't need for a two-round tournament), you could probably get away with starting later anyway. People were mostly waiting around for round 2 to start.
Yeah, I agree the lunch break was unnecessary, but I didn't know if that applied to everyone, I just didn't feel like eating personally. And I had no lunch anyway. And it was pissing down outside so we couldn't go anywhere.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Yeah, I agree the lunch break was unnecessary, but I didn't know if that applied to everyone, I just didn't feel like eating personally. And I had no lunch anyway. And it was pissing down outside so we couldn't go anywhere.
I'd have eaten if it wouldn't have been a stroll in pissing rain to get anywhere. But I'm a fat bastard, so don't presume that that reflects everyone.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I think a lunch break was necessary, certainly I saw some people eating a pack up or whatnot, but an hour was too long. Half an hour max. I also agree that an 11am start was more than fair and this should remain the case.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I think a lunch break was necessary, certainly I saw some people eating a pack up or whatnot, but an hour was too long. Half an hour max. I also agree that an 11am start was more than fair and this should remain the case.
OK, here's an idea. I know I said earlier than the hangover shouldn't be an eating competition. Well maybe it could be. Then no lunch break is necessary.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah but then you might need an unlunch break.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

I voted every year. I was a tad disappointed at my result on the Sat, so it was good to have a shot at redeeming myself on the Sunday. For the record a Goatdown or something would be great but I reckon a shorter, standard event suffices in this case. I also liked the idea of seeding from the previous day, even if it did disfavour me a little this time round.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Also, if I had to guess I would say less people would up for some sort of format change tourney. Factor in a lot of hangovers and the numbers could be low. Thanks for your efforts as ever Ben.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

That could well have been my first and last COLIN, not because of the event but the transport issues (you did a great job Ben) but if I go to another one I would very much like to see another one. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked to on saturday so it was nice to know there was a chance to have another go on sunday. Also as Ryan said, it's better to play countdown hungover than waiting for a train hungover. I echo a lot of people in saying an hour was excessive for a lunch break, half an hour would have sufficed IMO but it's a great concept and gives you a chance to mingle with everyone for the morning again which is great.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

As another member of the elite group who couldn't get out of bed in time, I would appreciate a slightly later start, maybe 11am? Nevertheless, it was a great event and I would like to see it return next year.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Dan McColm wrote:As another member of the elite group who couldn't get out of bed in time, I would appreciate a slightly later start, maybe 11am? Nevertheless, it was a great event and I would like to see it return next year.
Or you could just not be a useless cunt?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

:D
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Think the later start (11am) without a lunch break would be doable. Quite a few of us had lunch at the Fox and Hounds after, and if were starting at 11am, I reckon most people would b able to carry on the full day with a late breakfast
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....